Poll: You think the world is overpopulated
Yes. Too much of us... Just too much
Yes but not much
Meh/Not sure
No. But we are near of it
We aren't overpopulated at all (I hate you for choosing this)
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overpopulation
While China is a larger country, the vast, vast majority of its population live in the cities to its coast, while in the west of China its very sparsely populated. India as well has more people to its borders and coast then it does inland, which leaves some potentially usable land, just not as much as China. Although a sizable amount of China's west and north are desert, which is of little to no use.

[Image: population_density.gif]

Japan and South Korea are more at risk of the effects of overpopulation then China or India in my opinion, because they are vastly smaller countries with more mountainous terrain. Although Japan has been experiencing a slowing down in its population growth.

[Image: 512px-Population_of_Japan_since_1872.svg.png]
-- 
Danny Clarke
President of International Surrey Football
W: www.intsurreyfootball.co.uk
F: IntSurreyfootball
T: IntSurFootball

There's plenty more room for everyone. If people start panicking about overpopulation, the exact opposite will happen: namely, there won't be enough young people in the world to take care of the elderly. That's the potential problem. People harm nature not because there are too many of us but because we do not know how to live in harmony with nature. That is the key to having a large, happy population.

Well, the reason I believe that the world is overpopulated, is that as much as we are growing, we are taking up space of wilderness. We should leave free land for nature to develop itself. And, no matter how good we care nature, taking up more space will hinder every effort. Unless of course, we start claiming land from the sea.
PAULUS AEMILIUS I, DUX TREBIAE
Paolo Emilio I, Caudillo of Trebia
DEUS, PATRIA, REX
(4 Dec 2014, 19:56:30)PavlvsAemilivs Wrote: Well, the reason I believe that the world is overpopulated, is that as much as we are growing, we are taking up space of wilderness. We should leave free land for nature to develop itself. And, no matter how good we care nature, taking up more space will hinder every effort. Unless of course, we start claiming land from the sea.

Unfortunately, even if we start building on the sea we would still be damaging marine environments such as reefs.
_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*Peace, Unity, Prosperity*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_
.......... * * * * * * * * * *-----------------------* * * * * * * * * * * *..........
Technically, if we all live in Cities with the densities of New York, we could all live in Texas, not that I would I like to live in that state of idiots.
(17 Jul 2014, 01:41:36)PavlvsAemilivs Wrote: Ladies and Gentlemen. I come to share the fruit of my personal thoughts. The world is indeed, in my opinion, really overpopulated. You all know that our numbers are near 7 billion people. For me the ideal number is 2 Billion. Since technology prospered (I am not blaming technology, keep reading with attention) WE have been reproducing like rats. Rats, disgusting, right?

Look at that graph

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...00.svg.png

We shouldn't compare human beings with rats. We humans certainly aren't disgusting. We should also remember that the Bible says to be fruitful and multiply, and to have dominion over the earth (Genesis 1:28).

The UN thinks that the population growth will really stable out, and that's my theory as well. Remember firstly that the entire world population could fit albeit slightly uncomfortably in Jackson County, Florida (one example). Countries naturally have many children as they are developing, and have less children once they become developed societies. That is what happened in the United States with the end of the Baby Boom. Africa, India, and China are dead set to becoming developed eventually. This population growth - indeed exponential - is only temporary.

(17 Jul 2014, 01:41:36)PavlvsAemilivs Wrote: According to it, population has been growing faster since the 1800s (which you should all know), but population will grow even more according to UN estimates! What sort of world will this be?

Other estimates by the same organization say the population will level out. For a world to be overcrowded, though, we would have to have several hundred billion, perhaps even a trillion, before things become out of hand. That in mind, the Christian perspective tells me that Christ will return long before that ever happens.

(17 Jul 2014, 01:41:36)PavlvsAemilivs Wrote: However, according to the lowest estimates, we may begin to lower our numbers. I would love that to happen. Land is getting overpriced in this world. In Panama, that is happening. Every day land and prices are rising up. It may be happening in the rest of the world, and I blame overpopulation. I also blame it for all the environmental issues we are having (global warming, polluted rivers etc...).

If you live in Panama, you probably think that things are bad because Panama is a small and probably a crowded country. Still, the entire world population could probably fit in Panama, again, albeit uncomfortably, two or three times.

There are places in the United States where one can lay in the middle of the road and not have to worry about cars for days. This is even more true in vast continents like Africa.

(17 Jul 2014, 01:41:36)PavlvsAemilivs Wrote: Sadly there is no way to solve that problem for little people like us. We can only control how many children we may have. And pray... at least I do...

There isn't a problem really. It's just a cycle of development in each individual country. Expanding mankind and having dominion over the earth is just following a scriptural perogative.
I believe that indeed, even in mankind is supposed to grow and dominate the world, we need to respect nature's limits. Let's start cutting trees to build houses, and then make industries to feed a too large amount of people, and there it goes! Pollution!

No matter if the world space supports the enough amount of humans, the closer we are near the limit, the more filthy, polluted and dirty will our lives be.
PAULUS AEMILIUS I, DUX TREBIAE
Paolo Emilio I, Caudillo of Trebia
DEUS, PATRIA, REX
But there is a good way to be good stewards of the earth and live comfortably without worrying about overpopulation. Let me use an analogy, please don't get on me for my Catholic and what you might say outdated views.

Mankind should have dominion over nature the same way a husband has dominion over his wife. He should not mistreat her, or ill-use her, but be loving and kind to her, both people becoming better through the relationship. See? Mankind should love nature, care for nature, help nature, but not to such an extent that things get a little ridiculous. For example, I don't agree with a the green people running around right now, panicking over the present situation. We only need to learn to live in harmony in nature. However, this does NOT mean sleeping out in the wild without a roof above our heads and eating wild vegetables. If any of you have read the Lord of the Rings, which I hope all of you have, remember the hobbits in the Shire. They lived in perfect harmony with nature, but they also ;ead a life reminscient of Victorian England. This is what we should strive for. It doesn't necessarily have to be Victorian England, but you get my point.

I feel that everyone in this thread should watch this. It's an hour long, but Hans Rosling is a marvellous statistician.
His Lordship Richard I, by the Grace of God, Lord Spiritual of Mercia, Lord of Clyro, Heir to the Würtige Throne, Lord High Admiral of the Tsardom of Nolland, General of the Nollandish Army, Companion of Honour of the Tsardom of Nolland, Commander of the Order of Colour of McCarthia, Knight of the Sovereign Military Order of Sealand, Member of the Most Honourable Order of the Throne of Sandus, Knight of the Order of Adammia, OGC, CF.
You know where I think a lot of our world dissatisfaction comes from: it's modern technology.