Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Newspapers: Would you consider a page-based one?
Waaaaaay back in 2009 and such, page-based newspapers were all the rage in the MicroWiki community. The St.Charlian Observer, the Egtavian Star, Veritum Sandus, Gazet van Giddis, the Francillian…all these were popular newspapers laid out as print documents. Pretty much the only important news service not to start out in such a print format was Erusian Central News.

But in 2010 and onwards, everything sort of…changed, and now the majority of micronational news outlets, including all the outlets I just mentioned, either turned digital or disappeared. Now, of course, digital newspapers are more pragmatically viable. Nobody wants to have to print something out all the time - it wastes ink and paper. Of course, page newspapers can be read on-screen in Acrobat, but in comparison to web-based newspapers, they're terribly clumsy in this respect: You keep having to drag around and scroll rather than just seeing the headlines you care about and clicking on them.

Personally, however, I think there is something to be said for page-based newspapers. If you know what you're doing, you can make them look absolutely beautiful. Also, if you have enough citizens in your vicinity that you can actually circulate them directly in print, they make sense. Never mind the fact that having a tangible newspaper to show people at expos and such is always nice.

So, what do you think? Should we be making more page-based newspapers, or is it okay that the vast majority of micronational newspapers exist solely in blog form?
It worked well for Egtavia. When we get the News Agency up and running then I'd be glad to set one up for Micronation.org
While not practical, page-based newspapers are a nice novelty, and I suppose they'd suit for special occasions, like anniversaries and retrospectives.
[Image: bnrWinfam.gif]Ando 386 Can we have Comic Sans?
The Gazet van Giddis still does this...
His Imperial Majesty King Theodoric of Tiana and Her Associated Territories
better known as Joseph Puglisi
Did they restart it? It went defunct at least for a while.
(9 Nov 2013, 01:26:36)Sebastian Linden Wrote: Did they restart it? It went defunct at least for a while.

I've been getting it for at least a year now.
That long? Wow. I definitely remember it stopping at least temporarily at some point.
Maybe they just stopped posting them publicly.
How do you still get it? Is there a way to sign up to receive a copy?
(9 Nov 2013, 10:45:08)Barnaby Wrote: How do you still get it? Is there a way to sign up to receive a copy?

You could sign up for Flandrensisian citizenship.