4 6.56%
Total 61 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why soldiers are not heroes
Why Soldiers Are Not Heroes.

What do you think about the military?
It really is a spectacle how much militarism has been glorified to keep being cannon fodder a desirable career choice. All the medals and titles, the pomp and circumstance, the red poppies are so effective in propagandising the populace that it is surprising to me how many are in support of "the troops" without a single question.
His Elite Excellence Kuri Kabanov, Knyaz of Gishabrun, Duke of New Victoria, Duke of Knoll, Baron of Front Grove, Baron Kabanov, King of Arms of the Holy Roman Empire and of the Kingdom of Natal, GKW, OSN, KOW

New spoiler content as of: May 13 2014
Soldiers are heroes. I admit I haven't read the article, but that's because I have better things to do than read leftist garbage.

Edit: That's really quite unfair of me, the article could be quite eloquent for all I know. But I'm still not reading it because if just looking at the poll options is enough to anger me, I don't want to play Russian Roulette with my blood pressure.

Edited again: Ooh, negative rep already. I see justice is swift.
(29 Nov 2013, 23:41:34)Kuri Kabanov Wrote: It really is a spectacle how much militarism has been glorified to keep being cannon fodder a desirable career choice. All the medals and titles, the pomp and circumstance, the red poppies are so effective in propagandising the populace that it is surprising to me how many are in support of "the troops" without a single question.

They support troops without a single question because when they are writing this on internet their troops are stationed at -50 degree Celsius at peaks of Himalayas protecting motherland's frontiers, though much of it is occupied.
See spoiler if you want pic evidence that Aryavart defeated the 3rd strongest macronation on earth:
(29 Nov 2013, 23:44:13)SignorCavaliere Wrote: Soldiers are heroes. I admit I haven't read the article, but that's because I have better things to do than read leftist garbage.

No one who chooses to harm, maim and kill other humans for a profession ever has, or ever will, deserve the title of 'hero'. The very fact that we can consider killers to be heroes sickens me to the core. Because that's what they are, nothing more than killers. We wouldn't glorify someone who murders people for money on the streets where we live, so why should we glorify those who do it in far off countries? Whilst I do believe we should remember, the people we should be remembering are the innocent victims of human aggression and conflict, the civilians, the children who still die to this day because human beings don't have the balls to lay down their guns and talk like real people to those they quarrel with. Not those who choose to carry on killing, be they the soldier on the battlefield, or the politician who sends them there.

Raising a gun to another human for money or ideology or belief is murder. And it always will be.
(30 Nov 2013, 00:35:51)Westlandian Wrote:
(29 Nov 2013, 23:44:13)SignorCavaliere Wrote: Soldiers are heroes. I admit I haven't read the article, but that's because I have better things to do than read leftist garbage.

No one who chooses to harm, maim and kill other humans for a profession ever has, or ever will, deserve the title of 'hero'. The very fact that we can consider killers to be heroes sickens me to the core. Because that's what they are, nothing more than killers. We wouldn't glorify someone who murders people for money on the streets where we live, so why should we glorify those who do it in far off countries? Whilst I do believe we should remember, the people we should be remembering are the innocent victims of human aggression and conflict, the civilians, the children who still die to this day because human beings don't have the balls to lay down their guns and talk like real people to those they quarrel with. Not those who choose to carry on killing, be they the soldier on the battlefield, or the politician who sends them there.

Raising a gun to another human for money or ideology or belief is murder. And it always will be.

I really, very much wish I could respond to this in a level manner, but I'm filled with such overflowing disgust at such sentiments that any attempt to do so would be futile. I daresay that I'm as sickened that such opinions exist as you are that soldiers are considered by and large to be heroes. So... I respectfully disagree. To fight for one's nation is the highest form of service and sacrifice, whatever that nation and wherever they fight.
(30 Nov 2013, 01:02:31)SignorCavaliere Wrote: To fight for one's nation is the highest form of service and sacrifice, whatever that nation and wherever they fight.

Likewise, I must voice my protest here. Surely there is no greater dishonour than to kill? And what sort of service were those soldiers who hold civilians to this day in internment at Guantanamo Bay, or those soldiers who oversaw the killings of millions at Nazi extermination camps or Soviet gulags giving?
(30 Nov 2013, 01:20:39)Westlandian Wrote: Likewise, I must voice my protest here. Surely there is no greater dishonour than to kill? And what sort of service were those soldiers who hold civilians to this day in internment at Guantanamo Bay, or those soldiers who oversaw the killings of millions at Nazi extermination camps or Soviet gulags giving?
I beg to differ; there are much greater dishonours. Treason springs to mind. Killing can be justified depending on the situation (a soldier springs to mind) as can most other things. Those in Guantanamo are largely terrorists and therefore deserve to be there. Soldiers in WWII and the attendent situations are much slipperier fish. Their actions -genocide- are to be unequivocally condemned however that does not make those men themselves bad. Does Ilse the She-Wolf deserve personal condemnation? Yes. Why? Because she, personally, was a horrible sadist. But Rolf the Camp Guard who punched the clock and treated the prisoners judiciously? Not necessarily.

Morality, and those actions that define our moral standards, are objective and never really black and white. Everything is situational and while one can comfortably make statements based off their own personal views and their interpretation of the data at hand, to say "X is Y" as an ontological statement really isn't fair.

But shame on you for invoking Godwin's Law on the first page. :p
Currently serving as...
His Royal Eminence Prince James IX & I, Prince of Scotia, et cetera

God save Karnia-Ruthenia!
Non nobis domine, non nobis, sed nomine tuo da gloriam
I think i'm gonna step in for a second as a person part of a public services college course, a dedicated college course for all those seeking to join the uniformed public services emergency and armed forces, as a person with quiet regular exposure to people who are are planning to, already are or have been in the armed forces, myself aspiring to become an RAF Engineer Officer in the future. I feel i could perhaps give a little insight.

I'm of course not gonna lie and say everyone in any military ever current, past and future, has, is or will be a hero, its impossible, the recent news of the imprisonment of Marine A for breaking the Geneva Convention and killing an injured Taliban prisoner of war, and i won't even lie and say people on my course right now, the future soldiers, airman, seaman and marines wouldn't do the same, because honestly, they properly would, but the vast majority of people don't join the armed forces for the sole purpose of killing or becoming a decorated war hero with a VC to their name, they join for the ability to travel the world, to learn important attributes such as discipline or leadership, they join because of a family history in the armed forces or they join because they do not believe they fit in any other kind of employment, and becoming that decorated war hero who saved queen and country is nothing more then bonus and unfortunately, the only way to become that decorated war hero is to be on the front lines which a government sent them, by following orders from their senior commanders in the MoD and fighting the enemy who would kill the soldiers if they didn't shot first.

I'm not saying this to justify the killing, but when you've choose to join for a reason i previously specified but was put in a life or death situation by the government or a commanding officer, what else are you gonna do?
-- 
Danny Clarke
President of International Surrey Football
W: www.intsurreyfootball.co.uk
F: IntSurreyfootball
T: IntSurFootball

My country has suffered a severe inclination towards militarism in the past 14 years, to the point I find military sickening. The abuse of the image of soldiers as "heroes" that "die serving their homeland" may make some sense in the US, but here it's just pathetic. Venezuela hasn't fought a real war since the Federal War 150 years ago. I sometimes feel this country has forgotten what war is.

In a broader context, I still feel the glorification of military is lame. Soldiers aren't heroes, soldiers are pawns. The amount of casualties that come from wars that don't even have a reason to be is vomitive. If you want to become a soldier, I wouldn't really recommend it. But if you think it'll be an enjoyable experience, if you're just doing it for the sake of the nation or because your national pride is so thick you can't even see three meters ahead of you, then you should go for it, maybe that'll smack you into reality.
[Image: tumblr_inline_np5kqjWSLx1ss4nfu_540.png]
Tarik of Karjasari, by the Will of his People, King of Sabia and Verona
King of the Valtirians, Defender of the Avendrá, Voice of the Plushies, Duke of Evra