Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are trans/gay rights so polarized?
Quote:Either they negatively affect people/society or they do not.

Can you be absolutely sure this is the case? There is no inbetween? I just started this topic because I was wondering lately.
Just let them be already, who cares what they do with their lives? It doesn't have any affect on our personal lives so why bother arguing about these sorts of things? People deserve to be happy.

(That was just a rant to the world.)
Starr, founder of Athela and Queen of Hiatuses.
(21 Jan 2016, 00:08:46)Mr. Prime Minister Wrote:
Quote:Either they negatively affect people/society or they do not.

Can you be absolutely sure this is the case? There is no inbetween? I just started this topic because I was wondering lately.

What's the in-between in this situation? If they have even a tiny negative effect, then they still have a negative effect, and it's still a Boolean "they do or they don't" situation.
[Image: buy_email_lists_21819162.jpg]
In the words of  Bill Clinton
I did was not affiliated or part take in the actions of the hackers, Dreamlight Hackerz
(20 Jan 2016, 23:30:59)Michael Ònff Wrote: Let's stick with the topic, shall we?

(20 Jan 2016, 00:05:25)Mr. Prime Minister Wrote: So there are a few people, and some on here too, who oppose gay/trans rights, and others are fully supportive of rights. Isn't there any "middle ground" here though? Why does it sound like one side supports it without questions or compromise and one side opposes it without questions or compromise?

I find no reason for a "middle ground" to be very popular. Social conservatives believe, primarily because of religion and concern for social order, that these are deviant behaviors and are either personally self-destructive or contribute to social decay. Social progressives believe these behaviors are harmless, and that government attitudes against them are discriminatory or otherwise unjust. Either they negatively affect people/society or they do not.

As a conservative, I would not find any sort of compromise useful, because most progressives would see any concession as one in a long line of victories pushing them toward progress with no intention of permanently settling in the middle, and it would only give their agenda more credibility, not advancing my own principles at all. For example, have you ever heard the term "Come on, it's the year 2016 and you still don't support Policy X?"

I can understand this.
[Image: 598px-Esseseal.png]
Henry Clémens
Count of Siñbaša, Marquis of New Keutschen, former Lord of the Commonwealth
OAO SEO SAV GKIS KOP KSR CUR OIF KOC MOT KOS CSB CRL COG
Former Lord of the Essian Commonwealth, former Chair of the Grand Unified Micronational, Founder and former President of the Federated States of America

(20 Jan 2016, 18:36:03)frix Wrote: I imagine that statistic (in terms of meaning, at least, since its accuracy hasn't been cited) refers to paedophiles as people who are attracted to children, not necessarily those who've acted on that attraction.

That is correct. Child abuse is something else entirely, and has usually little to do with sexual preference. You don't so quickly abuse what you love. Consensual sex between adults and children is allowed in surprisingly many parts of the world. It happens, so you may want to have rules about it in your micronation.
Prince of Paraduin
(22 Jan 2016, 18:21:32)Ogidius Wrote: Child abuse is something else entirely, and has usually little to do with sexual preference. You don't so quickly abuse what you love. Consensual sex between adults and children is allowed in surprisingly many parts of the world. It happens, so you may want to have rules about it in your micronation.

Quote:But he that shall scandalize one of these little ones that believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone should be hanged about his neck, and that he should be drowned in the depth of the sea. [Mt. 18:6]
(22 Jan 2016, 18:21:32)Ogidius Wrote: You don't so quickly abuse what you love. Consensual sex between adults and children is allowed in surprisingly many parts of the world.
Regardless of you supporting consensual sex within adults with children or no, it's still not acceptable, even in secular terms. If there is something that should be respected and upheld above most things is the innocence of children. It's true, they can't be innocent forever, but that doesn't mean they will understand what does sexual acts really mean.

Furthermore, in the case of girls, child sex can lead to teenage pregnancy. Bring up condoms and contraception as much as you wish, condoms break, and I don't think contraception will be perfect either. And if there is something difficult on a teenager is to have to raise a child. Teens don't have either the maturity or the monetary income to raise a child. And personally, aborting a baby isn't even an option to me. Even in cases of rape.
PAULUS AEMILIUS I, DUX TREBIAE
Paolo Emilio I, Caudillo of Trebia
DEUS, PATRIA, REX
(24 Jan 2016, 05:30:47)Michael Ònff Wrote: Do people even read the Original Post anymore?

Yes, I just assumed the original question was already answered.
PAULUS AEMILIUS I, DUX TREBIAE
Paolo Emilio I, Caudillo of Trebia
DEUS, PATRIA, REX