Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.8 Average
Micronational Military Operations
(29 Apr 2019, 22:02:27)ThegnSiarFordell Wrote: This weekend, the feudal forces of Siar Fordell were called up for an armed mission (like actually armed... not airsoft, not nerf, not a video game) by the greater realm - our host macronation, to secure vital infrastructure - A stark reminder that we are still engaged in the global war on terror, with very real threats that exist. The Thegn and his household Infantry even responded to an emergency and evacuated an injured soldier to an area hospital.

Very cool. What was the setting? Was there an immediate threat against Sir Fordell?

(29 Apr 2019, 22:02:27)ThegnSiarFordell Wrote: While micronational war is silly and has no place in this group, micronational military operations do, indeed occur, and are a very real aspect of micronationalism. I have stated that Siar Fordell does not have a standing army, but a militaristic culture and serve feudal duties in the military of the United States. This gives ample opportunity to train, develop, and utilize macronational resources and opportunities to enhance my own estates and influence.

I agree. There definitely could be threats that should be addressed. So far we've only conducted two recon missions and just target practicing. One of the recon missions was mostly for training and testing some custom equipment. The second one was just routine.

On the cyber side we're mostly active every day. Our activities are centered on threat intelligence gathering, which we would gladly share with any friendly nation. We already have found activities pertaining to at least one APT (Advanced Persistent Threat).
No, there was not a threat to any of my direct holdings in Siar Fordell, but there was to our allies, and that is why we were called upon to defend it.

If you are interested in cyber warfare and intelligence, you might look into one of your local fusion centers - most of the time you will need an affiliation with an LEO organization or military unit, but there are also volunteer opportunities, and this could give you some really good insights and resources.
"Sola Virtus Nobilitat!"
Virtue (Valor) Alone Enobles!

Ser John Marshall, Thegn of Siar Fordell

The Thegn-Hold of Siar Fordell

Wiki Page for Siar Fordell
(30 Apr 2019, 05:40:24)ThegnSiarFordell Wrote: If you are interested in cyber warfare and intelligence, you might look into one of your local fusion centers - most of the time you will need an affiliation with an LEO organization or military unit, but there are also volunteer opportunities, and this could give you some really good insights and resources.

My work is already in commercial cybersecurity, so a great deal of my knowledge comes from there. It's also a hobby of mine to find and analyze malware. In my home network I use the Intel I gather to mainly sanitize incoming and outgoing traffic in real-time. I minimized, this way, a lot of malware and phishing attacks. I don't do any deep packet inspection.

My thesis professor had talked about critical infrastructure, much like fusion centers and dams, but he told us that for the most part you need clearance to get into those positions. And that it usually takes months of background checks before you get to work. It's understand, but if it's indeed the case, it sounds like a job change altogether. I haven't heard of any volunteering opportunities. If you have any links I would greatly appreciate if you could forward those to me.
The fusion centers I was talking about are more of intelligence gathering and sharing organizations run by law enforcement and intelligence organizations. This is my local one: Orange County Intelligence Assessment Center - OCIAC.gov they probably do quite a bit of cyber security work, and might be able to give you some cool opportunities and resources (your own local fusion center, if you're not in Orange County)
"Sola Virtus Nobilitat!"

(30 Apr 2019, 17:37:22)ThegnSiarFordell Wrote: The fusion centers I was talking about are more of intelligence gathering and sharing organizations run by law enforcement and intelligence organizations. This is my local one: Orange County Intelligence Assessment Center - OCIAC.gov they probably do quite a bit of cyber security work, and might be able to give you some cool opportunities and resources (your own local fusion center, if you're not in Orange County)

I see. I got confused with the terminology. I checked around in my county, but they do not have anything like that, except for paid positions with the city. I'll check neighboring ones as well.
Paid positions within your city might offer some interesting resources and opportunities, if it is something that you might want to look into. The lady of Siar Fordell, after having recently completed a state visit to my cousin's estate and observing his change of command (he is a commander in the US Navy and recently returned from a deployment leading an aircraft squadron) has expressed an interest in the Thegn (meaning me) returning to active duty as a US Army officer. This is an interesting new development, as I had grown somewhat accustomed to the idea of being a feudal lord, answering to none but myself (and the lady of my estates) but the idea of being a career soldier and gentleman officer has held a distinct appeal to me. The Thegn has made inquiries into the idea, and we will see where it leads.
"Sola Virtus Nobilitat!"