Poll: Are you a traditionalist or a modernist?
This poll is closed.
Traditionalist
59.09%
13 59.09%
Modernist
40.91%
9 40.91%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Modernism
(30 Mar 2016, 12:47:38)Brendan OBrien I Wrote: Oh, I get it. Yeah, "oh look at O'Brien he is crazy oh look at him angry at the world culture ha ha ha ha he is crazy" Yeah, blah, blah, blah all these world culturists.

Perhaps try not saying crazy stuff. I use a phone and occasionally end sentences typed on it with a colon followed by the letter P. Most people, as a rule, do similar, though additionally use some other emojis as well, and that's fine. Faces don't appear in text, and seeing emotions is okay, when kept to informal settings. It's only in the extreme cases that anyone legitimately requires a large portion of their texts to be emojis, and while I'm not saying that's something we should have to deal with, it's not only moronic but also unfair to accuse all of Western society of bringing us back to the stone ages for using a face in a bloody text message and listening to music that's a bit bland.
[Image: buy_email_lists_21819162.jpg]
In the words of  Bill Clinton
I did was not affiliated or part take in the actions of the hackers, Dreamlight Hackerz
(30 Mar 2016, 16:23:19)frix Wrote:
(30 Mar 2016, 12:47:38)Brendan OBrien I Wrote: Oh, I get it. Yeah, "oh look at O'Brien he is crazy oh look at him angry at the world culture ha ha ha ha he is crazy" Yeah, blah, blah, blah all these world culturists.

Perhaps try not saying crazy stuff. I use a phone and occasionally end sentences typed on it with a colon followed by the letter P. Most people, as a rule, do similar, though additionally use some other emojis as well, and that's fine. Faces don't appear in text, and seeing emotions is okay, when kept to informal settings. It's only in the extreme cases that anyone legitimately requires a large portion of their texts to be emojis, and while I'm not saying that's something we should have to deal with, it's not only moronic but also unfair to accuse all of Western society of bringing us back to the stone ages for using a face in a bloody text message and listening to music that's a bit bland.

Man I hate modern music. There are of course a few (very very few) exceptions, such as Red Hot Chili Peppers, but I'm sad about the way music is going. Bring back the 80s! (Oddly enough, I was born in 2003, not '73, lol). About emojis, I hardly use them, but when I do I also put words in too to make it look like I know my English, unlike everyone that texts completely in emojis (sadly, I know some people like that).
DUKE DYLAN I OF THE DUCHY OF HODINY
HERZOG DYLAN I DES HERZOGTUMS HODINIEN
TTOČ DÝLYN I ÓVŠKY TTÓČKY OV HÓDYNY

WIKI PAGE - HODŠKÍNTYA WIKIPAGE

"I'm not saying you're right, I'm just saying you're not wrong."  - Duke Dylan I

*I'm super obsessed with conlangs, so I'm always willing to help you on yours! See the wikipage entitled Hodškíntya for my best conlang.* 
I typically consider myself a traditionalist, but probably because of not nearly the same reasons as Markus does. I certainly embrace modern society, and culture, but I am also fascinated by history, culture, tradition, and language. When I go to a museum, I could spend hours looking at the Old Masters and Renaissance realists, but care very little about some of the abstract pieces that were the hallmark of the early 20th century. I have an affinity to impressionism though. Culturally I am very much a traditionalist, but I use a phone, dress in modern styles, and fully leverage the advantages of technology to my every opportunity. Militarily I train with the most up to date weapons systems and feel that CAS (close air support) is a warm blanket full of comfort... but I also fence and hunt with black powder weapons (among other things) I take the best, most effective, and most appealing aspects of each and apply them to my life.
"Sola Virtus Nobilitat!"
Virtue (Valor) Alone Enobles!

Ser John Marshall, Thegn of Siar Fordell

The Thegn-Hold of Siar Fordell

Wiki Page for Siar Fordell
(30 Mar 2016, 16:49:09)Duchy of Hodiny Wrote: Man I hate modern music. There are of course a few (very very few) exceptions, such as Red Hot Chili Peppers, but I'm sad about the way music is going. Bring back the 80s! (Oddly enough, I was born in 2003, not '73, lol). About emojis, I hardly use them, but when I do I also put words in too to make it look like I know my English, unlike everyone that texts completely in emojis (sadly, I know some people like that).

You've not listened to all modern music. I too thought that I hated modern music until about two years ago, when I discovered Niekku and other Finnish music, since then my taste in music covers mainly electronic and folky-type stuff.
State of Greater Ridd
Dafydd S. Jones

If only parenting has lost any semblences of actual parenting and kids are being brought up to being greedy and self-serving. No one will care about interesting cultures when the World Culture hits, the teens will be more vocal than anyone who actually likes their culture, the only culture in the World Culture is pop psychobabble trash.
President Ghost 2017
At Congress: "Aw, shut up you sick fruitcake! I'm talking here!" -President Ghost

Member of the Holy League

Baller Friday Party Host
I consider myself a traditionalist but I do dress modern as well as use a cell phone, computers/tablets and such. I don't totally rule out all modern things. Sure there are some things that I don't like about today's times but there are also some things that I don't like about the past either.
- His Excellency, The Führer of the Greater Dashist Reich
Brendan, have you considered the possibility that most people listen to their own preferred genres of music and that pop just so happens to be where everyone can agree that "yeah, it'll do" and that's why it's popular? It doesn't matter if I listen to electro-punk-seagull-rock while my mate listens to Indonesian folk rap, neither of those are likely to top the charts because of how niche they are. But they'll all still exist, even if pop just happens to get heard more. I'm pretty certain that by this point complaining about pop music being bland is about as popular as pop music itself.

(30 Mar 2016, 17:05:06)Brendan OBrien I Wrote: the teens will be more vocal than anyone who actually likes their culture

Right now, you're shouting about how modernism will doom society, and being more vocal than anyone who disagrees with you. Just to point that out.
[Image: buy_email_lists_21819162.jpg]
In the words of  Bill Clinton
I did was not affiliated or part take in the actions of the hackers, Dreamlight Hackerz
(30 Mar 2016, 16:49:09)Duchy of Hodiny Wrote:

Man I hate modern music. There are of course a few (very very few) exceptions, such as Red Hot Chili Peppers, but I'm sad about the way music is going. Bring back the 80s! (Oddly enough, I was born in 2003, not '73, lol). About emojis, I hardly use them, but when I do I also put words in too to make it look like I know my English, unlike everyone that texts completely in emojis (sadly, I know some people like that).

Emojis are good for conveying feelings in a text-only environment, however they are too often overused and that ruins the message (at least for me).

Also, RHCP is amazing!
John V
Prime Minister of the Republic of Noland

"If you do not take an interest in the affairs of your government, then you are doomed to live under the rule of fools."
--Plato
Old stuff is cool.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=992]
Nick Fredriksson
Of Sademaara, formerly of Førvania

I refer to modernism in the broad sense: do you prefer the things of the modern day, or the things of the past? I consider myself a traditionalist in many regards. I dislike modern music, modern theology, modern architecture, and modern philosophy.

One particularly horrifying example of the modernist scourge is this hideous "cathedral", allegedly the Cathedral of the City of Los Angeles.

[Image: Lacathedral.jpg]