Poll: Are you a traditionalist or a modernist?
This poll is closed.
Traditionalist
59.09%
13 59.09%
Modernist
40.91%
9 40.91%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Modernism
Indeed, I find myself enjoying some historic architecture while utilizing modern benefits like television, the internet, or toilet paper.
The Government of the Kingdom of Madrona in exile

o Nationalist o Activist o Monarchist o Royalist o Separatist o Humanist o Philanthropist o Realist o Research Scientist o Imperialist o Patriot o Progressive o
(4 Apr 2016, 22:13:54)Tjorvi Wrote: Indeed, I find myself enjoying some historic architecture while utilizing modern benefits like television, the internet, or toilet paper.
Personally, it does not has to do with technology. Just the culture. People think differently, build differently, sing differently, write differently, and I may say, much worse than in the past. Now if you'd excuse I'd prefer a bidet to toilet paper :D

What I love of traditional art is that it is based upon the work of a previous generation of masters, improving one after the other. Traditionalists dislike unfamiliar things, but stick by the principles.
PAULUS AEMILIUS I, DUX TREBIAE
Paolo Emilio I, Caudillo of Trebia
DEUS, PATRIA, REX
(30 Mar 2016, 12:34:12)Brendan OBrien I Wrote: Modernism is bleak trash that has cultivated a iphone society and dumb hairstyles and poor work ethic. No one will ever speak to another person ever again, except to gossip and hateful screaming. You know those emojiis? I saw this great comment the other day, I wish I could remember where I saw it, but it said that emojis are like cavemen symbols.

WE ARE REGRESSING BACK TO THE STONE AGE. WE CANNOT EVEN SAY WORDS, JUST EMOJIS.

You know how everyone fears the zombie apolysece and are preparing for it? What about these bland, soulless waste's of space? The zombies are already here.

We are creating a society that only knows how to listen to heavy metal trash, or "deathcore". (RUH RUH RUH AAAHHHHHHHHHH HAIL SATAN HAIL SATAN) listen to other dumb pop music garbage that the music industry defecates out of it's disgusting "pop stars" and is quickly eaten up by the brainwashed masses who then proceed to defecate all over society with their atrocious politically correct garbage, a society that is obsessed with trashy clothing that is made out of what I assume is literately garbage because it is just trashy pieces of cloth with dumb psychobabble plastered over it like some absurd Japanese art project, that only cares about being the top score on call of duty, makeup, and iPhones, which will be the religion of tomorrow.

The dumb teen hordes will take over the earth when they become the new adult generation, and will create a new religion that is just pop psychobabble trash. The World Culture is coming and no one can see it, no one is stopping it. The World Culture will take over and force everyone to listen to Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber and all that trash.

We're glad you like it.
(4 Apr 2016, 23:19:37)PavlvsAemilivs Wrote: People think differently, build differently, sing differently, write differently, and I may say, much worse than in the past.

The problem with this theory is that it's biased. Most people only know about the masterworks of history, like the plays of Shakespeare for instance. Doubtless there were countless terrible playwrights who were his contemporaries, but their plays were not preserved and performed for centuries because they were considered bad, thus they and their writers fell into obscurity. Nowadays, it's much easier for terrible artists to fling their content all over the world via the internet and other media. Art isn't "worse", we just see a lot more of the bad stuff now because technology makes it more accessible.

On a similar note, there were probably really awesome works of art that were lost to wars and disasters in history, such as the burning of the Great Library in Alexandria or the sack of Rome. It's really quite sad to think about.
Supporter of memes that don't exist.
(5 Apr 2016, 00:26:09)Sarky Wrote:
(4 Apr 2016, 23:19:37)PavlvsAemilivs Wrote: People think differently, build differently, sing differently, write differently, and I may say, much worse than in the past.

The problem with this theory is that it's biased. Most people only know about the masterworks of history, like the plays of Shakespeare for instance. Doubtless there were countless terrible playwrights who were his contemporaries, but their plays were not preserved and performed for centuries because they were considered bad, thus they and their writers fell into obscurity. Nowadays, it's much easier for terrible artists to fling their content all over the world via the internet and other media. Art isn't "worse", we just see a lot more of the bad stuff now because technology makes it more accessible.

On a similar note, there were probably really awesome works of art that were lost to wars and disasters in history, such as the burning of the Great Library in Alexandria or the sack of Rome. It's really quite sad to think about.
I perceive your point. But still if you gather modern art in general, it isn't as elaborate, uplifting, inspiring, balanced and dedicated as traditional art.
PAULUS AEMILIUS I, DUX TREBIAE
Paolo Emilio I, Caudillo of Trebia
DEUS, PATRIA, REX
(5 Apr 2016, 01:01:02)PavlvsAemilivs Wrote: ...But still if you gather modern art in general, it isn't as elaborate, uplifting, inspiring, balanced and dedicated as traditional art.

The fun thing about art is that it's subjective. You literally cannot say a piece of art is more "uplifting", "inspiring", "balanced" or "dedicated" than another, especially if you're generalizing with a term as broad and vague as "modern art". You can always say "...in my opinion", and that'd still be a stretch. I can say I find a piece of Swiss cheese with pubic hair glued to it more inspiring, uplifting and balanced than Michelangelo's David, or Da Vinci's Last Supper. Who are you to say I'm wrong? If I'm inspired by something, I'm inspired by something, because that's my perception of art and you can't say I'm wrong. You could argue I'm insane, and considering the (hypothetical) example I just gave, you might be right. But it's still my perception and it's just as valid.

As for the "dedicated" and "elaborate" part, this is mostly because just like art iself, the way we make art has changed throughout time. Nowadays, through digital art, we can paint an amazing, realistic image in a few hours, or a few days if we really want to make it something amazing. And with 3D printers we can create a beautiful sculpture in minutes. Traditional art demanded more dedication because details required time, and for the most part, supplies were expensive and hard to come by. But these are just more useless generalizations. Modern art can require a lot of dedication and time. Modern architecture, for example, demands extensive use of math and knowledge of geometry, just like it was six centuries ago or a thousand years ago, and maybe even more than back then.

I understand the appeal of <generalization>traditional art</generalization> (when I think what you mean by "traditional art" is just "traditional European aesthetics") and I can appreciate it, but I believe vanguardism and our modern perceptions of what art is and how it can be done are so, so valuable when we take into account how many new styles of every art have surged in the past century. Art is so broad, and so big, and it's not something you can see through objective eyes.
[Image: tumblr_inline_np5kqjWSLx1ss4nfu_540.png]
Tarik of Karjasari, by the Will of his People, King of Sabia and Verona
King of the Valtirians, Defender of the Avendrá, Voice of the Plushies, Duke of Evra
(5 Apr 2016, 00:02:03)President Kit McCarthy Wrote:
(30 Mar 2016, 12:34:12)Brendan OBrien I Wrote: ..

We're glad you like it.

Ohhhh! Brendan is crazy! Hahahaha! Ohhh look at crazy Brendan he says things that aren't politically correct! Ohhh!
President Ghost 2017
At Congress: "Aw, shut up you sick fruitcake! I'm talking here!" -President Ghost

Member of the Holy League

Baller Friday Party Host
Brendan, if you like, I can announce that I love mass murder if it makes you shut up about "political correctness". We don't disagree with you because it's not politically correct, plenty of the forum holds non-politically correct views. We disagree with you because you're saying something that we disagree with.
[Image: buy_email_lists_21819162.jpg]
In the words of  Bill Clinton
I did was not affiliated or part take in the actions of the hackers, Dreamlight Hackerz
I posted earlier that I am a traditionalist, but the course of this discussion has made me want to reevaluate my previously held beliefs.

Emoji's may not be as beautiful as a sonnet, but they have their uses. Something gets lost in translation while texting in quatrain.

Quoting Lovelace doesn't have the same affect that it did on girls in previous centuries... but I like how they dress these days a lot better.

As far as music... pop doesn't hold a candle to Beethoven or Bach, but I'd still rather watch Britney Spears in pigtails on Youtube (I think I am showing my age)

Traditional Architecture is marvelous and awe inspiring, but modern has something going for it - even if not stylistically. I stayed in a 13th century apartment building in Barcelona that didn't have bathrooms. You had to go to the restaurant across the street to drop a deuce, and go to the gym down the block to shower. Win one for amenities.

As far as art goes, though, I'm still firmly in the traditionalist camp. The Renaissance wing at the Getty leaves me speechless, and I can't think of anything from the 20th or 21st century that could possibly come close.

Also, Brendan, I don't think anything you have really said could accurately be described as politically incorrect... its just you basically being a jerk, and leaving people who tend to agree with you (like myself) rethinking their positions (like I have done above) because you're being abrasive.
"Sola Virtus Nobilitat!"
Virtue (Valor) Alone Enobles!

Ser John Marshall, Thegn of Siar Fordell

The Thegn-Hold of Siar Fordell

Wiki Page for Siar Fordell
Is it just me, or are these threads breaking down quicker and quicker? Can we all try and focus on the topic please?
The Government of the Kingdom of Madrona in exile

o Nationalist o Activist o Monarchist o Royalist o Separatist o Humanist o Philanthropist o Realist o Research Scientist o Imperialist o Patriot o Progressive o