Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project Red Lightning
(19 Dec 2017, 10:37:33)Thomas Merrell Wrote: Actually, some quick research suggests that the material (liquid oxygen & liquid hydrogen) isn't all that expensive, ranging at around $150 per gallon for both. If you get enough to get your initial boost, I wouldn't be worried too much about the rest of the fuel.

The fuel cost is not a big impact, the real thing is how to manage it safely. Hydrogen need to be cooling and pressurized to keep it in liquid form. Slightly heat can make it expanding and multiply pressure of the tank. That's why space shuttle orange tank are cover with insulation foam which is costy, adding weight and one time use. For amateur and sounding rocket without permanent launch platform, professional personnel and proper equipment, I'm highly recommend to use a safe and storable propellant. Or solid motor (but handle with care or you may lost some finger or even your life, not just for solid motor but for all propellant).
--------------------------------
Ad astra per aspera, through hardships to the stars

STL Kobayashi

https://micronations.wiki/wiki/Aphelia_S...rch_Nation
(19 Dec 2017, 17:35:34)Suzuki/Violette Wrote:
(19 Dec 2017, 10:37:33)Thomas Merrell Wrote: Actually, some quick research suggests that the material (liquid oxygen & liquid hydrogen) isn't all that expensive, ranging at around $150 per gallon for both. If you get enough to get your initial boost, I wouldn't be worried too much about the rest of the fuel.

It's not the price of the material that worries me. It's the fact that I simply do not have the technical skills on my lonesome to build such a rocket at this time. For me my rocket series has been a learning experience. The R-7 "Claudia" is just the next step in my education. 

My plans for my rocket series over the coming years are to finish the R-7 and -8, which are both based upon the R-6 "Sounder" design, in order to perfect my approach towards control, ground maintenance, and recovery systems. Originally I had intended to market the "Claudia" rocket as a kit version of the "Sounder," but in the end I decided it was not in the interests of PRL's long term goals if it became a commercial enterprise (I have my qualms against the commercialization of space). So, for now my plans are to develop R-7 as a more reliable version of the R-6, and for the R-8 to be a two-stage derivative of the same "Sounder" design.

After that, I'm not too sure where to go. As it stands, the math holds up for an R-8 to make it into a sub-orbital arc, provided it is launched from a high-altitude weather balloon. Further development may spell orbital launch. I may do this as some sort of stunt, but I think I need to look beyond the limited capabilities of the Sounder series, just like Rialy and I moved on after we learned all we could with the Olympic series (R-3 to -5).

Provisionally, I have been planning for the -9 and up series for years. But there are still several questions I have as to what the new series will look like, and what I hope to accomplish with them. I do have a short list of goals for the post-Sounder series of rockets:

- Capable of flight from ground level of 30 miles or more.
- Capable of stable orbital injection from high-altitude balloon launch.
- Capable of carrying a scientific payload of up to 10 pounds.
- Capable of safely launching and landing a biological payload (likely mice).
- Capable of utilizing a high-energy combustibles (the likely candidates are kerosene or hydrogen).
- Capable of carrying an on board supply of liquid oxygen.
- Stability to be provided by gyroscopes instead of exhaust fins.
- To be 2 to 3 stages.

As for the long term goals of PRL (aside from its ultimate goal)... Well, I know that human spaceflight has to be a step in there, and I will need to build something capable of doing just that. And this is where my plans split, from a fact-based rocket to a theory-based Starliner design. I believe the Starliner plan could work, but it becomes a question of whether I should waste time and resources developing a possible failure or whether I should take the safe road and continue to develop my rockets.

The only thing I'm sure of is the naming of my rockets as the R (for Rocket) series. Speaking of which, the R-8 design as its own name now: "Cloud." Since -8 is essentially going to be two -7's stacked on top of each other, I figured I'd give it a name that started with a "clow" sound.

It possible. Zero2infinity already proof this is technically possible and can decrease cost of getting things to space. Now it's time for competition to make it reliable and cheap. Your goal are realistic and achievable. I'm waiting to see your success.

Ad astra

STL Kobayashi

So, I've been talking with with some of my old PRL buddies lately, and it looks like we'll get the band back together again with a focus not on rockets or even more questionable means of a launch system, but instead on developing robotic space probes. The idea is to create a modular spacecraft design that can be readily modified for whatever environment it is to be sent to, be it Venus or Pluto.
[Image: Sun%C3%BErawegaz_Flag.png] [Image: Flag_of_New_Providence_2.png] [Image: San_Dover_Flag_2.png]

Violette "Suzuki" Leōcor

Creator and Caretaker of the Sunþrawegaz Kuningadōmas (2017-), 
Founder and Empress of the Empire of New Providence (2018-),
Founder and High Priestess of the Sovereign San Doverian Order of Historical Preservation (2017-)

Co-founder and Former President of the Republic of Drew Star Line (2005; 2006, 2007-2017)

Uskorian Knight of the Bachelorette, Novian Baroness of the Fennec Fox, Recipient of the Sovereign Order of the Rose, Companion of the Order of Uskor.

(19 Jan 2018, 00:27:04)Suzuki/Violette Wrote: So, I've been talking with with some of my old PRL buddies lately, and it looks like we'll get the band back together again with a focus not on rockets or even more questionable means of a launch system, but instead on developing robotic space probes. The idea is to create a modular spacecraft design that can be readily modified for whatever environment it is to be sent to, be it Venus or Pluto.

recommend tech to use
- cubesat
- 3D printing in space

STL Kobayashi

And in case anyone wants to claim otherwise, Zenrax does fully approve of this project -- or any space-related endeavors for that matter.
Chief Administrator of Imperial Express News

[Image: CoA%20of%20Zenrax%20small_zpsgqm9v56g.png]
(19 Jan 2018, 19:03:04)ApheliaSRN Wrote: recommend tech to use
- cubesat
- 3D printing in space

Or simply go off in another direction.
[Image: Sun%C3%BErawegaz_Flag.png] [Image: Flag_of_New_Providence_2.png] [Image: San_Dover_Flag_2.png]

Violette "Suzuki" Leōcor

Founder and High Priestess of the Sovereign San Doverian Order of Historical Preservation (2017-)

Co-founder and Former President of the Republic of Drew Star Line (2005; 2006, 2007-2017)

Uskorian Knight of the Bachelorette, Novian Baroness of the Fennec Fox, Recipient of the Sovereign Order of the Rose, Companion of the Order of Uskor.

Thread re-opened at OP's request.
Chief Administrator of Imperial Express News

[Image: CoA%20of%20Zenrax%20small_zpsgqm9v56g.png]
(8 May 2018, 00:15:08)Thomas Merrell Wrote: Thread re-opened at OP's request.

I agree.
[Image: buy_email_lists_21819162.jpg]
In the words of  Bill Clinton
I did was not affiliated or part take in the actions of the hackers, Dreamlight Hackerz
You were desperate for NASA's cool acronyms, no?
Michał Nowacki
HoS, OSR
President of the Republic of Litvania
Ad ultimum voluntatis arbitrium populi.

[Image: Litvania-seal.png]
Quote:Micronationalism is the Hotel California, you can check out anytime, but you can never leave.
- A wise man
I am happy to announce that PRL has its first funding since 2013! PRL will be granted a monthly budget of $100. This month's budget is going straight into the Red Voyager program, also known as the Starliner program. I have the list of supplies and relative costs to build the first prototype of a [SECRET], which in the main propulsion system of any Starliner. This is the most excited I've been in like, ever!

Violette "Suzuki" Leōcor