Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Kermadec Union
Kermadec Union

I’ve been toying around with the idea of inviting one to three micronations that I feel have great potential at macronational status to join New Starland in its quest to settle Raoul Island in 2020. My country claims all five of the Kermadec Islands, but the southern and smaller four were put under the jurisdiction of Project Red Lightning, a company owned entirely by Rialy and myself. We’ve come to the conclusion that we may not need these islands for PRL’s spaceports, and that it would be no more or less expensive to build massive sea rigs to launch the truly gigantic Centaur rocket then to construct the same facilities on land. So, to that end, since me and Rialy have established that we probably don’t need the other islands that are tens to a couple hundred miles from Raoul, we’re basically going to sell them to the micronational community.

The price tag? Stability, loyalty, and determination. New Starland is not going to allow its neighbors to be states that aren’t serious in their attempt to become macronations. New Starland’s Grand Council will set the terms and standards for any nation attempting to join the Kermadec Union. These terms have yet to be written, but our government will maintain the right to deny other nations from taking land that we’ve already set our sights on.

But what is the Kermadec Union? It is designed for ultra-serious micronationals with determinations to become legitimate macronations. The Union will help all member nations achieve their goals by utilizing a unified economy, military, and a very loose representative council. There will be plenty more information regarding this proposal in the coming days and weeks, so please stayed tuned.
 [Image: Flag_of_San_Dover.png]

Violette "Suzuki" Clingersmith

Creator and Caretaker of the Sunþrawegaz Kuningadōmas (2017-),
Founder and Provisional Leader of San Dover (2019-)

Co-founder and Former President of the Republic of Drew Star Line (2005; 2006, 2007-2017)

Uskorian Knight of the Bachelorette, Novian Baroness of the Fennec Fox, Recipient of the Sovereign Order of the Rose, Recipient of the Order of Uskor.

First point for consideration: your micronation will have to give up all previous land claims outside of your share in the Kermadecs, and no future land claims can be made. This is to help insure that all member states are serious in their attempt at settlement, and not just claiming land to claim land, as a couple of micronationalist here tend to do. It's not that hard: New Starland gave up all of its claims in and around Havelock, NC from the getgo to focus solely on our major goal.

Also, here is a map of the Kermadecs (the islands are not to scale, but the distances between them are). DNS claims all of Raoul Island and it's offshore islets, and depending on how many member states the Kermadec Union has will depend on how the southern four are divided. And, yes this map has five islands. l'Havre is submerged at high tide, and therefor shouldn't be considered an island.

[Image: Karta_NZ_Kermadec_isl.PNG]

Co-founder and Former President of the Republic of Drew Star Line (2005; 2006, 2007-2017)

Uskorian Knight of the Bachelorette, Novian Baroness of the Fennec Fox, Recipient of the Sovereign Order of the Rose, Recipient of the Order of Uskor.

How do you plan on reaching the islands?
Matthew Cummings
President, Federated States of Noveria | Wiki
Senator, Eodus
Boats. Most of us in New Starland live not even 20 minutes from the Atlantic, so we already have 2 small fishing boats and a very decent sized yacht. We can't take anything too big because of the coral reefs that surround Raoul. The other Kermadecs are the same. We hope to purchase two small-medium sized yachts (used ones) by 2020 as well.

Any nation with an interest in the Kermadec Union may or may not have to fund their own boats for the journey. Depending on how large our population is in 2020 (we're hoping for 50) will effect how many other micronationalists we can fit on our ships.

This is all very interesting, and I commend you for actually trying to create a new, fully fledged nation state. But spaceports? What's that about?
I can't help but point out that you mention space exploration rather a lot for a "serious" micronationalist. To me, at this point in time, space exploration is a total waste of time and resources for anybody who is not a large research agency. It's just space.
I join hughmcf in respect of your future goal of properly claiming and controlling viable islands, but even if the cards were on the table for it, I would not steer a "serious" and especially "ultra-serious" micronation into your Union. In fact, if I had the land and access you claim, I would be announcing the fact to the world - "please, other micronationalists, bring your micronations here, it'd be a blast, and there could be a proper economy!"
Simply Communist.
(6 Jul 2016, 13:33:56)phunanon Wrote: ...it'd be a blast...

Says the guy criticising the space port... Was that particular wording deliberate? :P
Best of Luck to you at DNSgov!
~~~~"I Have a Dream"(Martin Luther King)
Contact Info https://scratch.mit.edu/users/baty1117/ Don't hate it
(6 Jul 2016, 12:22:10)hughmcf Wrote: This is all very interesting, and I commend you for actually trying to create a new, fully fledged nation state. But spaceports? What's that about?

Project Red Lightning is not a government run industry of DNS. It's a private space venture founded by me and Rialy during the hiatus of the DSL-Starland legacy. New Starland only really wants Raoul Island, but PRL needs a place to launch our mammoth Centaur rockets. Raoul Island is far too mountainous for a stable platform to be built, but the other Kermadecs are perfect. However, me and Rye have been talking a lot about the future of both PRL and DNS, and we agree that both ventures should be conducted on Raoul Island. The constant earthquakes and volcanic activity of the Kermadecs, although completely livable with proper engineering, could spell disaster for large scale projects such as PRL's spaceports. To that end, PRL needs it's mission control based on Raoul, with large floating platforms to work on. This frees up the southern Kermadecs that my country really doesn't want, mainly because the nearest one (Macaulay) is 75 miles away. Since PRL was given direct control of the rest of the Kermadecs to do with as we please, and since PRL no longer has a use for them, I figured I'd try and be a proactive force within the community and help give prospective macronations a chance at the adventure I've instilled with my citizens. If nobody wants them, I can respect that, and me and Rialy will instead work on making the other islands a national wildlife refuge.

Also, New Starland takes precedence by a large amount over PRL. PRL is more of pipe dream between two close friends with a fascination for space (if any of you actually read the PRL thread, you'd know that). New Starland's goals are achievable through planning and determination, but PRL's needs tons of money, tons of research, and tons of international support, something I give a 2% chance of succeeding by 2100. Until one or all of those three things is gained, I will continue to focus my efforts on DNS, whilst musing about the possibilities of PRL.

I am interested in this venture, however, there are two factors contributing to a definite no.

1). Money.
My financial situation in 4 years shall be the same as it is now. I can't afford a boat. Or to build settlements.
2). Current land claim has to be unclaimed.
Pacem is an Empire. We expand. But losing our expansions are not ideal. If we could keep them, the only thing in the way is my financial situation, which I may be able to overcome.

Please think about the second one. This is a reason why even the most serious nations would probably not do it.

Engineer ~ Businessman ~ Progressive

Editor of the Quo Times

I survived because the fire inside burned brighter than the fire around me. - Joshua Graham