Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On Genetic Modification
(10 Aug 2016, 22:48:34)phunanon Wrote:
(10 Aug 2016, 22:14:11)King Wesley Wrote: I think genetic modification is a good thing but only if used in moderation. Obviously we cant have everyone becoming immortal or just the rich people becoming immortal. However being able to cure diseases and preventing birth defects would be extremely useful and helpful.

What's wrong with the rich becoming immortal? Means their money will be all spent back to the people! And they have the option of better healthcare, so they should receive it! /s

The movie Elysium is a perfect example of this. In my opinion immortality is not ideal because if there is no death, sooner or later the world will be over populated.  If there is a single person that gains immortality, everyone will want immortality rich or poor and it will be chaos.
colonize other worlds, explore the cosmos..
The Government of the Kingdom of Madrona in exile

o Nationalist o Activist o Monarchist o Royalist o Separatist o Humanist o Philanthropist o Realist o Research Scientist o Imperialist o Patriot o Progressive o
(11 Aug 2016, 00:26:46)Emperor Thomas I of Zenrax Wrote: People have been wanting immortality at least since death was talked about as a subject -- which is, needless to say, an extremely long time.

While I don't think that it is possible for any living organism to last literally forever (factoring in all of the myriad variables aside from aging), a much longer life span would definitely serve anyone with the capacity to live a comfortable life.
Or end up retiring at 180...
Simply Communist.
(11 Aug 2016, 01:20:18)phunanon Wrote: Or end up retiring at 180...

I think by the end of the century, robotics will have advanced far enough that what we think of us jobs, work, and careers will begin to fade away. So, perpetual retirement.
 [Image: Flag_of_San_Dover.png]

Violette "Suzuki" Clingersmith

Co-Founder and Leader of the Drew Star Line Legacy (2005-)
Creator and Caretaker of the Sunþrawegaz Kuningadōmas (2017-)

Uskorian Knight of the Bachelorette, Novian Baroness of the Fennec Fox,
Recipient of the Sovereign Order of the Rose, Recipient of the Order of Uskor, Member of the Austenasian Order.

This is, as it were, a pipe dream.

It shall never happen.
(11 Aug 2016, 03:59:11)Emperor Markus II Wrote: This is, as it were, a pipe dream.

It shall never happen.

Just like the Byzantine Empire rising from the ashes.

Recipient of the Sovereign Order of the Rose, Recipient of the Order of Uskor, Member of the Austenasian Order.

The Byzantine Empire is rightfully concluded, but the Holy Roman Empire shall rise again, just like the Holy Roman Church.
(11 Aug 2016, 04:02:34)Emperor Markus II Wrote: The Byzantine Empire is rightfully concluded, but the Holy Roman Empire shall rise again, just like the Holy Roman Church.

Yep. That and Yugos will come back in style.

Yes. Just like flying was impossible. Just like instantaneous communication across the globe was impossible. Just like curing illnesses was impossible. Just like cloning was impossible.
The Government of the Kingdom of Madrona in exile

o Nationalist o Activist o Monarchist o Royalist o Separatist o Humanist o Philanthropist o Realist o Research Scientist o Imperialist o Patriot o Progressive o
Cloning has failed. It is a grave scientific perversion - cloning. It has been attempted, and it has only resulted in deformities and disease.

Have you not heard of a certain lamb that was cloned? It was quite miserable from what I have heard. Obviously, that is because it was conceived unnaturally and therefore it developed improperly.