Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump Presidency?
(11 Nov 2016, 16:49:38)kingjohnthefirst Wrote:
(11 Nov 2016, 15:41:49)President Kit McCarthy Wrote: Is there in fact any evidence Hillary Clinton rigged the presidential election?

Does it really matter, comsidering she lost...?

Yes. It is a crime, is it not? More needn't be said.
Simply Communist.
(11 Nov 2016, 23:17:33)phunanon Wrote:
(11 Nov 2016, 16:49:38)kingjohnthefirst Wrote:
(11 Nov 2016, 15:41:49)President Kit McCarthy Wrote: Is there in fact any evidence Hillary Clinton rigged the presidential election?

Does it really matter, comsidering she lost...?

Yes. It is a crime, is it not? More needn't be said.

I concur. If attempt to rob a bank and fail, you are still convicted.
Supporter of memes that don't exist.
(11 Nov 2016, 23:30:05)Sarky Wrote: I concur. If attempt to rob a bank and fail, you are still convicted.

And, in the event there are allegations of bank robbery, it would require investigation, however small - as with this case.
Simply Communist.
Electors should be chosen by legislatures. Abolish the popular vote for the Presidency.
(12 Nov 2016, 02:12:27)Deelambs Wrote: Electors should be chosen by legislatures.  Abolish the popular vote for the Presidency.

So use the original system? It would certainly be interesting, but what makes you think this?
"It is emphatically the province and duty of the Judicial Department to say what the law is."
Chief Justice John Marshall, Marbury v. Madison

President of the Amissopian Federation

It's fabulous that Trump won. Combined with the Brexit vote, it is now evident that there is a significant shift occurring in the western world for the better.
[Image: 598px-Esseseal.png]
Henry Clémens
Count of Siñbaša, Marquis of New Keutschen, former Lord of the Commonwealth
OAO SEO SAV GKIS KOP KSR CUR OIF KOC MOT KOS CSB CRL COG
Former Lord of the Essian Commonwealth, former Chair of the Grand Unified Micronational, Founder and former President of the Federated States of America

(12 Nov 2016, 10:12:24)Horatio Eden Wrote:
(12 Nov 2016, 02:12:27)Deelambs Wrote: Electors should be chosen by legislatures.  Abolish the popular vote for the Presidency.

So use the original system? It would certainly be interesting, but what makes you think this?

I can't speak for his opinion, but states would certainly have more power if this was the case.

After a discussion with Mr. Callahan on the subject, I concur with him. The system does not need radical change. As it currently stands, the states have the power to change the way their apportioned votes are given to candidates. We've already seen proportional systems go into effect in Maine and Nebraska, and I'd like to see that method spread to other states. The states also choose how their electors are selected, and it just so happens that they go by the popular vote. In the interest of a Federal system, I'd like to see that power returned to state legislatures. I'll guarantee we wouldn't have seen Trump win the primaries had this been the case (Hillary probably still would have, though).

I still think that the number of votes per state may need some readjustment, but other than that, the system would work fine the way it is.
Supporter of memes that don't exist.
(12 Nov 2016, 10:12:24)Horatio Eden Wrote:

We have completely abandoned the concept of the United States being a federal government and created a Frankenstein's monster of national government.
The states are now political subdivisions of the U.S., whereas they were intended to be sovereign entities within a larger, self-sustaining, mutually beneficial union.

I believe strongly in republicanism. I'm going to be controversial for a moment and just say what I think: people, on the whole, are sheep. We have had our ups and downs since the age of enlightenment, but the average sentiment I have seen in America and worldwide is that people do not want freedom more than they want the security of a shepherd to prod them into their fold. I see anarchy as a default starting position for mankind, but I also see basic government to protect the rights and liberties of the people as the basic starting position for any culture or society.

I'm sorry to digress, but I mean to emphasize that I do not see direct democracy as any great thing. Mankind is too apt to burn their brothers at the stake for an extra slice of pie for me to endorse the blank check of democracy. I see liberty by law, equal justice under the law, and voluntary exchange and association as the basic tenants of good government. Democracy espouses an equally small measure of each.