Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homeschool Legality among Micronations
Now do please forgive, usually I'd have a neat graphic or drawing to go along with this but unfortunately I'm away from my laptop. Here's question however, in regards to another thread on the topic of home schooling.

How is home schooled perceived in micronations?

On average do you believe home schooled students are more intelligent, brighter or have more potential than their private and public school student peers?

Is the institute of homeschool legal in your nation? If or if not why so.

A legal home school system can save your government money while requiring minimal efforts from your government as well.

On the other side it's harder to regulate naturally, you can't see inside closed doors and the child may be receiving a sub par education from legal standards.

I think this may be an interesting question and I'm curious what some of your opinions are on the matter. I am unsure if had been asked before, or something similar along the lines, so please forgive me if this is a repeat question. However maybe its also time for a review as well.

As always many thanks,
— Prince Xavier of Novian Princality
[Image: Vdrm0xe.png]
Nearly all of Quail's citizens, including the Empress, were or are homeschooled. No education system is held by the government to be better than another; we leave that choice to the family.

Kermadecia was founded in an elementary school gym. Public education is what made us, and our identity was forged on the playground over a decade ago, not in somebody's home or on an online venue. We were 100% physical, and it wasn't until 2012 that we even began online meetings and such. I know this is about homeschooling policy in micronations, but honestly I don't think a micronation can truly evolve beyond an individual's vision in such an enclosed environment. 

Although this does bring up an excellent point for those die-hard, micro-to-macronation projects such as Kermadecia. How will education be dispersed in the country? I have never really thought about that, but I guess schools will have to be built on Raoul Island one day. Interesting to think about, me and my friends raising our children on a tropical island with no prior educational infrastructure... I know we'll find a solution to the problem, but it's just such an odd thing to think about that I'm not even sure how we'd go about it at the moment... Homeschooling may be the best option for a while!
 [Image: Flag_of_San_Dover.png]

Violette "Suzuki" Clingersmith

Co-Founder and Leader of the Drew Star Line Legacy (2005-)
Creator and Caretaker of the Sunþrawegaz Kuningadōmas (2017-)

Uskorian Knight of the Bachelorette, Novian Baroness of the Fennec Fox,
Recipient of the Sovereign Order of the Rose, Recipient of the Order of Uskor, Member of the Austenasian Order.

We have no laws on education, yet. The Senate has a Committee on Education (and Coummunity Outreach) so we see rulings. Jupiter was created by 2 friends from public school. All of our current and past citizens all go to the same high school. Most government business gets conducted there. We like Kermadecia were created out of public schools.

I believe that education should be up to the parents. The government should provide schooling but also allow alternatives, but that is just the Libertarian in me.
HM King Max I
Kingdom of Jupiter and Greater Territories.
Quote:I just don't care, I respect who you are if you respect who I am. 
Kingdomjupiter.weebly.com 
I don't anticipate having any laws regarding how people should educate their children. That should not be the government's role, but standards for acceptance into publicly funded degree granting institutions (publicly funded meaning by the greater realm, not Siar Fordell... since I doubt we will form a university) ought to be established.

All that being said, if you're uneducated, you're going to have a tougher time in life. That's just a fact.
"Sola Virtus Nobilitat!"
Virtue (Valor) Alone Enobles!

Ser John Marshall, Thegn of Siar Fordell

The Thegn-Hold of Siar Fordell

Wiki Page for Siar Fordell
(6 Jan 2017, 04:00:31)ThegnSiarFordell Wrote: I don't anticipate having any laws regarding how people should educate their children. That should not be the government's role, but standards for acceptance into publicly funded degree granting institutions (publicly funded meaning by the greater realm, not Siar Fordell... since I doubt we will form a university) ought to be established.

All that being said, if you're uneducated, you're going to have a tougher time in life. That's just a fact.

That's a pretty solid fact. But what about a micronation like Kermadecia? All of its citizens are young adults on the cusps of being parents ourselves. We plan on raising our families on Raoul, 500 miles away from the nearest inhabited place on Earth. I think, for what it's worth, the situation will be that a micronational government will have to step in and create education programs for the masses, which from what I can see would be the first recorded instance of a micronation establishing a grade school. I'm not saying Siar Fordell isn't doing anything wrong by not funding a school or college, but I don't think the running of educational programs by a "greater realm" is something that every micronation, not least Kermadecia, can do.

Recipient of the Sovereign Order of the Rose, Recipient of the Order of Uskor, Member of the Austenasian Order.

(6 Jan 2017, 04:08:26)Suzuki/Violette Wrote:
(6 Jan 2017, 04:00:31)ThegnSiarFordell Wrote: I don't anticipate having any laws regarding how people should educate their children. That should not be the government's role, but standards for acceptance into publicly funded degree granting institutions (publicly funded meaning by the greater realm, not Siar Fordell... since I doubt we will form a university) ought to be established.

That's a pretty solid fact. But what about a micronation like Kermadecia? All of its citizens are young adults on the cusps of being parents ourselves. We plan on raising our families on Raoul, 500 miles away from the nearest inhabited place on Earth. I think, for what it's worth, the situation will be that a micronational government will have to step in and create education programs for the masses, which from what I can see would be the first recorded instance of a micronation establishing a grade school. I'm not saying Siar Fordell isn't doing anything wrong by not funding a school or college, but I don't think the running of educational programs by a "greater realm" is something that every micronation, not least Kermadecia, can do.

I think that in the case of Kermadecia and Raoul Island then a home-school scenario might be the best option that you could have... short of exporting your kids to New Zealand. There is a lot of information that will be available - both currently and in the next few years - for parents or groups of parents who want to home school their children. You can get an excellent education while home schooled, or you can be thoroughly indoctrinated into a completely warped world view... it all depends on the program, and how it is run. The issue becomes, though, what happens when one of your kids goes through 18 years of education on Raoul Island and wants to go to Harvard, or Oxford, or wants to study medicine (to come back to Raoul and be a doctor) or Law, or wants to go to West Point (we had a lot of foreign cadets that went to West Point... they all returned to their home nations and were generals within a few years... several became presidents, and one started a coup and became a dictator) You have to make sure that they have the requisite education to succeed in the world, which will make Kermadecia even better.

The topic of this thread was, however, if it would be allowed in our micronations, not the benefits or practicalities of homeschooling.

As for me, when I have children, I will teach them everything I can before the age of five... probably in several languages (this will confuse their mother, and will be hilarious) but at that point, I will probably send them to a very expensive private school in Southern California or whichever of my estates I am residing at the time, where they will wear adorable plaid outfits and learn incredible things and go on to be brilliant in a variety of fields, before getting full scholarships to places like Harvard, or a congressional appointment to West Point (NOT Annapolis) and hopefully I will have developed Siar Fordell into something great that they will be proud to inherit... focusing on land acquisition, assets under management, and other businesses that all are in line with a successful, militaristic feudal state within the US.

Forming my own grade school or university does not fit into these plans. Maybe a Sandhurst style military academy would be more appropriate, that grants military commissions rather than degrees, but that might still be a ways off.
"Sola Virtus Nobilitat!"

(6 Jan 2017, 04:47:54)ThegnSiarFordell Wrote: As for me, when I have children, I will teach them everything I can before the age of five... probably in several languages (this will confuse their mother, and will be hilarious) 

Ah, that's always fun! Sometimes I think my mother taught me Northern Sami just so I could mess with pretty much all but a few thousand of the people on Earth (including everyone in my family save her and my grandmother). Unfortunately me and her had a falling out before she taught me how to read and write in her native tongue...

I of course would teach my children the whole suite of languages I know: English, Northern Sami, French, Burmese, Latin and Japanese. And hopefully, one day, Russian, which is strangely difficult because, despite being a very important language when considers the impact Russia has on the world in general, it is rarely taught at a college level in the US. You'd think Americans would learn the importance of knowing your adversary's language, but nope: we seem to prefer ignorance over intelligence.

(6 Jan 2017, 07:12:13)Suzuki/Violette Wrote: I of course would teach my children the whole suite of languages I know: English, Northern Sami, French, Burmese, Latin and Japanese. And hopefully, one day, Russian, which is strangely difficult because, despite being a very important language when considers the impact Russia has on the world in general, it is rarely taught at a college level in the US. You'd think Americans would learn the importance of knowing your adversary's language, but nope: we seem to prefer ignorance over intelligence.

not really... if you look at the language programs run by our military, Russian, Farsi, Arabic, and others within that sphere are some of the most prominent. The Defense Language Institute in Monterrey, California has an exceptional Russian program. I studied Arabic at the Academy (where we also have an excellent Russian department) and in my senior English course we specialized in Persian literature (the year before it was Russian literature) - the focus is, as you point out, to learn the language, culture, and background of our enemies or potential enemies. I can't speak as to how civilian colleges, or non-military intel programs, but everyone in the defense industry is very much interested in studying our adversaries, and we do it quite a bit.
"Sola Virtus Nobilitat!"

(6 Jan 2017, 07:34:30)ThegnSiarFordell Wrote: not really... if you look at the language programs run by our military, Russian, Farsi, Arabic, and others within that sphere are some of the most prominent. The Defense Language Institute in Monterrey, California has an exceptional Russian program. I studied Arabic at the Academy (where we also have an excellent Russian department) and in my senior English course we specialized in Persian literature (the year before it was Russian literature) - the focus is, as you point out, to learn the language, culture, and background of our enemies or potential enemies. I can't speak as to how civilian colleges, or non-military intel programs, but everyone in the defense industry is very much interested in studying our adversaries, and we do it quite a bit.

Well, even if I wanted to join the military, my preexisting health conditions would prevent me from being excepted to begin with.

Actually, when I was younger, I always wanted to be a C-130 pilot in the Marines. Living next to an airstation with a whole squadron of KC-130's, I grew to love the mammoths. They're also extremely maneuverable, which I find to be quite hilarious, and is why I prefer them over other large military aircraft. Unfortunately, life threw me a whole host of curve balls from birth, so any plans I had to be a pilot were shot out of the saddle from the beginning. 

Anyways, I think I'm beginning to derail this thread, so I'll stop posting here until I have something to talk about that revolves around homeschooling in micronations.