Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favourite Music Albums
[Image: Jethro_Tull_Songs_from_the_Wood.jpg]
SONGS FROM THE WOOD
Jethro Tull

I know I said Rush was one of my favorite bands, but I think Jethro Tull is my absolute favorite band. I love listing to this album in particular when I am doing work or something else. My favorite track from this album is "The Whistler". It's an absolute must listen to for any rock fans or folk rock fans. Give it a try! :)
[Image: Green_Day_-_American_Idiot_cover.jpg]
AMERICAN IDIOT
Green Day

The deluxe album I bought, for $19.99 on iTunes, was sixteen songs, or 1 hour, 5 minutes and 3 seconds, of unbridled angst. (It only has twelve tracks because eight of the songs are merged.)

The concept album follows Jesus of Suburbia, a middle-class adolescent anti-hero; St. Jimmy, a 'punk rock freedom fighter'; and Whatsername, a female revolutionary, as they make their way through the world.

Favourite songs from the album?

That is the thing. It seems wrong to pinpoint any particularly good song from this album, because they're all so, so good. Every single song of this album is beautiful, and terrible, and off-the-wall, and over-the-top, and absolutely brilliant.

American Idiot, the song, is loud and sticks it to you; Jesus of Suburbia is a longer, grittier Bohemian Rhapsody (yet, at 9:08, it's not even the longest song on the album); Holiday is a massive 'f*** you' to George W. Bush; Boulevard of Broken Dreams is edgy and angsty and the 2006 Record of the Year, according to the Grammy Award it won...and those are just the first four. It is hard to choose.

If I had to pick three, they would be American Idiot, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, and Shoplifter, a quick track about a serial kleptomaniac. That's a bonus track, though, so if you want it, buy the deluxe album. You won't regret it, I guarantee you.

(Obligatory explicit warning.)
Nick Fredriksson
Sportswriter, stats person, high school student, bisexual, Green Day & Weird Al fan, opinionated, and awesome.
Of Custosia, formerly of Førvania

only one album that I like all song in it is Epic Electronica, first I heard them from SpaceX video so I find for a full version
--------------------------------
Ad astra per aspera, through hardships to the stars

Orion Reeve
1st Commander of Space Port

Space Port Interplanetary Nation : the first space exploration technology R&D nation
https://micronations.wiki/wiki/Space_Por...ary_Nation
Take part in Space Port
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQ...sp=sf_link
OK, it's been a while, so I'll provide a few albums I've listened to lately. And I'm also about to trigger Twain.

[Image: PinkFloydWallCoverOriginalNoText.jpg]
THE WALL
Pink Floyd

Hey, I caught the rock opera bug. And when it comes to rock operas, you can't go past Pink Floyd's (they of The Dark Side of the Moon) 26-song epic from 1979. The album follows a man called Pink across his life with a father killed in the Second World War, a traumatic school experience, becoming a rock star but hating the life, building a metaphorical wall from human contact, and eventually breaking down completely. It's a weird experience to listen to, but enjoyable. Favourite song: Another Brick in the Wall (Pts. 1, 2, and 3).

[Image: TheOffspringAmericanaalbumcover.jpg]
AMERICANA
The Offspring

Yes, more punk rock. Much like Green Day, The Offspring were formed in California in the 1980 and had a smash hit third album in 1994 (literally, The Offspring's was called Smash). Americana is, in lead singer Dexter Holland's words, about unhappy American lifestyles, but it's by no means a depressing album and, indeed, is full of fun tracks. Have You Ever has an absolutely brilliant bass line for its final act, Walla Walla is about a man regretting being friends with a criminal, and Why Don't You Get A Job? is light hearted fun. Favourite song: Pretty Fly (For a White Guy).

[Image: NirvanaNevermindalbumcover.jpg]
NEVERMIND
Nirvana

(Mods, it's artistic nudity. Don't censor it.)

If you ever think you can't become a musician because you can't sing, look at Kurt Cobain. Despite, or possibly because of, the fact that nobody had a clue what he was singing about, this album is full of brilliant, memorable songs. It is not beautiful music, but it is amazing. How many albums have had such a big impact on popular culture as this? If you can find one, tell me. Favourite song: Smells like Teen Spirit.

[Image: DS_Brothers_in_Arms.jpg]
BROTHERS IN ARMS
Dire Straits

Let's be honest, this is only here for Money for Nothing.

[Image: Green_Day_-_Dookie_cover.jpg][Image: Green_Day_-_Nimrod_cover.jpg][Image: Green_Day_-_21st_Century_Breakdown_cover.jpg]
DOOKIE, NIMROD, and 21ST CENTURY BREAKDOWN
Green Day

Because nobody wants to see me obsess over these guys, I'll condense my reviews.

Dookie was the big hit of 1994, and has two extremes. On the one side, its most famous song is about boredom and masturbation and it's an album that is named after a synonym for poop. On the other side, it has songs on it about dealing with panic attacks, abusive girlfriends, moving out and coming to grips with bisexuality. Whatever side you go for, it's a remarkable album with a brilliant cover. Favourite song: Longview.

Three years later, the trio tried to reinvent themselves, and came out with Nimrod. It's 18 songs in 50 minutes, and contains such marvels as surf-rock instrumentals, ska songs about being in drag, harmonicas, and Good Riddance, which you probably know as 'the song you get at high school graduations'. Interesting, and still great. Favourite song: Hitchin' A Ride.

And the third album here, 21st Century Breakdown, was a second attempt at a rock opera. While they failed badly at a storyline, they did make eighteen songs, across three acts, that for the most part turn out well. The band reflects on organised religion, patriotism, and abandonment, and also include a few Latin-influenced and stadium epic songs. A poor rock opera, but a great album. Favourite song: East Jesus Nowhere.
Nick Fredriksson
Sportswriter, stats person, high school student, bisexual, Green Day & Weird Al fan, opinionated, and awesome.

[Image: TheBeatles68LP.jpg]
THE BEATLES
The Beatles

As the follow up to Sgt. Pepper's, the quartet decided to put anything and everything they could make onto the next album. And nobody could accuse them of not aiming high, turning out a 30-track double album with a plain white cover.

The worst part about this album is how much it varies in quality. For all of the good tracks, there's just as many clunkers, but this also gives it an advantage - with thirty tracks, you're going to find something you like.

Some of the album's best tracks include Back in the U.S.S.R., Paul McCartney's pastiche of the Beach Boys; Happiness is a Warm Gun, the three-part tune that paved the way for songs such as Bohemian Rhapsody and Paranoid Android; Blackbird, a ditty that's both sad and uplifting; and I Will, a short love song. Despite this, my favourite track would be Why Don't We Do It In the Road?, for a reason you'll clearly understand if you listen to it.

[Image: Green_Day_-_Kerplunk_cover.jpg]
KERPLUNK
Green Day

This is the album that made Dookie possible. Far better than its predecessor, 39/Smooth, this album is so good it's hard to believe a bunch of teenagers made it.

Excepting the joke track Dominated Love Slave, none of the songs are bad, most a decent, and three or four would rival anything Billie Joe Armstrong has written since. These include the opening track 2000 Light Years Away, a tune about his girlfriend Adrienne who was living in Minnesota at the time, far from he in Oakland. The album continues onwards, with the best tracks including the original version of Welcome to Paradise; Christie Road, a slower tune about sneaking out and smoking weed; and Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?, inspired by the character in The Catcher in the Rye.

This album got them signed to Reprise Records, where they would go on to become the stadium rockers they are today. And if you're wondering, Armstrong and Adrienne have been happily married for twenty three years now.

[Image: In_Utero_%28Nirvana%29_album_cover.jpg]
IN UTERO
Nirvana

The follow up to Nevermind, the entire world's eyes were on Cobain and his buddies, and the pressure was getting to him (a working title for the album was I Hate Myself and I Want to Die). The group deliberately aimed for a more abrasive sound, which is certainly apparent. The album lacks any songs as radio-friendly as Smells Like Teen Spirit, but it doesn't lack good songs.

After a fairly weak opening track, we get the ferocious pounding of Scentless Apprentice, inspired by the book Perfume. The better tracks from the album include two with delightful titles - Rape Me (which is, of course, sarcasm) and Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle (who was a bit of an icon for Cobain, and possibly who he named his daughter after) - Dumb, a shot at happy stupid people; Pennyroyal Tea, my personal favourite; and All Apologies, a dark reflection on the world.
Nick Fredriksson

"The entire world's eyes..." I think I'll let the extravagant exaggeration slip for now.