Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Howdy
Look into Italy for your future endeavors. Not long ago (a few months) the Italian government was offering more than 50 historic castles for free (further investigation showed that these would actually be a free lease, ranging from 9-50 years... not unlike feudal tenure, truth be told) and they were taking applications for business designs for the estates - the emphasis was on "Slow tourism" in the Italian countryside and they were looking for the castles to become hotels, hostels, bed & breakfasts, wineries, tasting rooms, etc. but every idea was considered. They were also focusing on owners under 40. I seriously considered submitting a proposal myself, but I'm not at a place where I could talk to my wife about moving to a castle in Europe without significantly more disposable income (though that remains a distinct goal... a refurbished medieval watchtower on the Amalfi coast would make an excellent summer home) - I believe that the deadline for proposals expired in August, but the project itself is an indication that the Italian government has more land and castles that they can legitimately manage, and they might be more than willing to part with one for next to nothing, provided you pay appropriate taxes (like any good feudal state would... until you achieve your desired sovereignty.)

I also find it interesting that you want an island so you do not have to be burdened by trade regulations from a surrounding nation, yet at the same time want to emulate the European Union in your economic policy, which exists solely to burden its members with tedious trade regulations... island nation or not.
"Sola Virtus Nobilitat!"
Virtue (Valor) Alone Enobles!

Ser John Marshall, Thegn of Siar Fordell

The Thegn-Hold of Siar Fordell

Wiki Page for Siar Fordell
(25 Oct 2017, 15:52:01)ThegnSiarFordell Wrote: . . .

Don't mean to put everything you said in a blurb, but I'm sure some people appreciate it.

That Italian castle leasing actually sounds really cool, along the lines of what Zenrax proper is looking into doing. The unfortunate part of that isn't so much the date ending (I have a feeling they'll have another sign-up), but that it's leasing, not owning. If I was to own the castle, then I stand a better chance of pushing for sovereignty than I would if the macronational government was leasing said estate to me.

The EU thing is kind of funny, actually. I understand what you're saying, but I honestly think that in the time between now and when I get San Dover into a position that I could legitimately claim sovereignty, the EU will likely have worked out its economic kinks. Besides that, at the moment the Euro is more stable and is worth more than the US dollar... Although that could change in the unlikely event American relations with China will get better in the next couple of years. Personally, I'm adopting the Euro because I love the design.
 [Image: Flag_of_San_Dover.png]

Violette "Suzuki" Clingersmith

Co-Founder and Leader of the Drew Star Line Legacy (2005-)
Creator and Caretaker of the Sunþrawegaz Kuningadōmas (2017-)

Uskorian Knight of the Bachelorette, Novian Baroness of the Fennec Fox,
Recipient of the Sovereign Order of the Rose, Recipient of the Order of Uskor, Member of the Austenasian Order.

So, some more developments with San Dover:

I have been crowned Princess Violette I. Hooray! 

Also, the official religion of the crown will be my "alma matter," as it were: Lutheranism. Yep, I'm a heathen! Recently, with all the good going on in my life lately, I've been quite thankful and seeking a better relationship than the shaky one I already have with God. I don't think I'll ever fully commit to any religion, but let's just say me and the big man are back on speaking terms for the first time in years.

The government itself will remain secular, and freedom of religion will be maintained. But, in effect, I will be leader of the San Doverian Church. Similar to how Queen Elizabeth II is the head of the English Anglican church, even though Britain is secular.

Speaking of that government: the government, as I said, will be modeled after other European microstates. I'm specifically looking at Liechtenstein and Monaco's constitutional monarchies when I say this. It will take me some time to draw up a constitution. Right now with everything pretty much being me and Cheyenne, it's kind of hard to implement any kind of parliament. So, San Dover likely will not have a fully functioning government until a certain amount of active citizens is reached. Until then, I'm just kind of winging it, getting everything ship-shape.

I will say it is quite an expierence running a country that is all yours. I'm so used to having to compromise, what with DSL having six creators.

Recipient of the Sovereign Order of the Rose, Recipient of the Order of Uskor, Member of the Austenasian Order.

Britain isn't actually secular. It's in fact because of her Maj being head of the CoE that it's not considered secular. However, religion is much less of a basis for political views in our country, so I can see how we might be considered a sort of secular society.

Beacon City was based initially on European microstates, and while I've done very little to actually make this culturally obvious, you're welcome to take a look at our constitution. It was written when I wasn't very good at writing laws so it looks gross, but you can get some of an idea from it.
[Image: buy_email_lists_21819162.jpg]
In the words of  Bill Clinton
I did was not affiliated or part take in the actions of the hackers, Dreamlight Hackerz
(26 Oct 2017, 13:25:59)frix Wrote: Britain isn't actually secular. It's in fact because of her Maj being head of the CoE that it's not considered secular. However, religion is much less of a basis for political views in our country, so I can see how we might be considered a sort of secular society.

Beacon City was based initially on European microstates, and while I've done very little to actually make this culturally obvious, you're welcome to take a look at our constitution. It was written when I wasn't very good at writing laws so it looks gross, but you can get some of an idea from it.

Actually, after looking over the constitutions of the six European microstates, I like Liechtenstein's the most. I will be basing San Dover's after it, which can be viewed here.

It's good to hear you're giving a mind to religion. Religion leads to culture, and culture helps micronations last longer. And religion is, as Aristotle would put it, something worth pursuing for it's own sake.

(27 Oct 2017, 20:57:15)SoD Woods Wrote: It's good to hear you're giving a mind to religion. Religion leads to culture, and culture helps micronations last longer. And religion is, as Aristotle would put it, something worth pursuing for it's own sake.

I'm a bit more religious than I act, I guess. Yeah, I don't really pray a whole lot, mainly because I don't believe that God is a genie. But I respect God, at the very least. And I go to church every other week . Personally, I want to go more often, but my church is half-an-hour away, and I don't have a lot of spare money for gas. I mean, I was baptized at birth as a Lutheran, I was catechized and confirmed as a Lutheran, and I'm probably going to marry as a Lutheran, and be buried as a Lutheran. Might as well make my crown a Lutheran.

I was also baptized a Lutheran... and to my knowledge it is the only time I have set foot in a Lutheran church. I was confirmed Presbyterian, I adopted Catholicism while in the Army (the Brigade chaplain at West Point was a Catholic Priest and had a profound impact on my religious understanding and practices) was married in a Greek Orthodox ceremony (I didn't understand anything about the wedding, as literally, it was all in Greek... but this wedding is what made me discover my Lutheran baptism, since I had to provide proof that I wasn't a heathen before the priest would agree to marry us) and my current beliefs are something of a mixture of the group... with some Odinism thrown in there for good measure. It helps me justify a warrior culture.
"Sola Virtus Nobilitat!"

(25 Oct 2017, 20:35:52)Suzuki/Violette Wrote:
(25 Oct 2017, 15:52:01)ThegnSiarFordell Wrote: . . .

Don't mean to put everything you said in a blurb, but I'm sure some people appreciate it.

That Italian castle leasing actually sounds really cool, along the lines of what Zenrax proper is looking into doing. The unfortunate part of that isn't so much the date ending (I have a feeling they'll have another sign-up), but that it's leasing, not owning. If I was to own the castle, then I stand a better chance of pushing for sovereignty than I would if the macronational government was leasing said estate to me.

The EU thing is kind of funny, actually. I understand what you're saying, but I honestly think that in the time between now and when I get San Dover into a position that I could legitimately claim sovereignty, the EU will likely have worked out its economic kinks. Besides that, at the moment the Euro is more stable and is worth more than the US dollar... Although that could change in the unlikely event American relations with China will get better in the next couple of years. Personally, I'm adopting the Euro because I love the design.

I agree that leasing (even a free lease) is not the same as owning outright... but it is a start, and a freeholding lease of a castle is not far off from a feudal holding, which have long histories of declaring independence or becoming de-facto sovereign entities. If nothing else, it would give you an opportunity to build up an economy (because the Italian government even wants you to be successful!) in agriculture, tourism, etc. and then when you've basked in the spoils of capitalism you can either declare your independence, act as a default sovereign state, or offer to buy the property outright from the Italian government (who I don't anticipate will be coming out of economic hardships any time soon.) Also, the fact that many of these are world heritage sites or declared monuments might play in your favor, arguing to the international community that Italy clearly could not take care of their historical locations and that you should continue to do so, citing your success as the Mistress of Castle Clingersmith (or whatever it would be called... probably something Italian)

Also, they are offering the same options to more castles and historic sites in 2018 and 2019, so like we originally anticipated, the program looks like it will continue.
"Sola Virtus Nobilitat!"

(28 Oct 2017, 02:09:09)Suzuki/Violette Wrote:
(27 Oct 2017, 20:57:15)SoD Woods Wrote: It's good to hear you're giving a mind to religion. Religion leads to culture, and culture helps micronations last longer. And religion is, as Aristotle would put it, something worth pursuing for it's own sake.

I'm a bit more religious than I act, I guess. Yeah, I don't really pray a whole lot, mainly because I don't believe that God is a genie. But I respect God, at the very least. And I go to church every other week . Personally, I want to go more often, but my church is half-an-hour away, and I don't have a lot of spare money for gas. I mean, I was baptized at birth as a Lutheran, I was catechized and confirmed as a Lutheran, and I'm probably going to marry as a Lutheran, and be buried as a Lutheran. Might as well make my crown a Lutheran.

So would the Church of San Dover be mainly Lutheran? Or would there be some differences in doctrine? 

And, Ser John, if you ever bother to read an English translation of the Greek wedding ceremony, I can guarantee you that you will find it a simply brilliant text.