Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There isn't really any true authoritarianism in the United States
This thread is a continuation of a couple posts made in the absolutist ideology thread.

I'm concerned about those labeling Donald Trump and his cabinet as authoritarian. Also, George Bush Jr. Comes to mind. It's usage in America is mostly done for purely political reasons that aren't always legitimate. I am most familiar with it coming from the left to the right. Now, I like the conservatives more from a philosophical view, but I admit that there have been occasions where the label was vice-versa, from the right to the left.

I honestly don't think the very large majority of Americans are authoritarian. On both sides, there are crazy people, but true authoritarianism is hard to find.
True. Most Americans I come across are actually anti-big government in general so an authoritarian government would make them cross. The VAR had a similar problem with the Mr.Donald Trump issue and Trent's plans included ostracizing both political parties from the micronation, however we did prevent him from doing so to Democrats but he wouldn't settle down when we refused to allow his proposal. So he still banished the Republicans for a month. His antics truly show our micronations suffering under his strange regime. But as of your post I also believe the majority of Americans are anti-authoritarian
Donald Trump has authoritarian tendencies. Firstly, working with a foreign government to influence an election is pretty bad. That's something a person who craves power would do, no matter if you're Republican or Democrat.

Secondly, trying to suppress free speech by threatening libel against legitimate news outlets is something that a lot of authoritarians have done. Trump is even using his power to prevent Time Warner and AT&T from merging unless they disband CNN, which is crazy. That would be like if Obama prevented 21st Century Fox and Verizon to merge unless they disbanded Fox News, which again would be absolutely crazy!

Thirdly, when one refuses to denounce the supporters of authoritarianism, and repressive thinking, that's a big red flag. Specifically, a big red flag with a swastika in the middle. Failing to correctly address a movement that seeks to turn a country into a dictatorship when you are the leader of said country is a pretty strong sign that you wish to be that dictator.

The main saving grace here is that Trump doesn't seem to be very smart. If Trump were as intelligent as other authoritarian thinkers, the United States would be in grave danger. But, thankfully, he's pretty dim; and so, apparently, are his staffers. And that in the end will likely save America from the potentiality of dictatorship.
 [Image: Flag_of_San_Dover.png]

Violette "Suzuki" Clingersmith

Founder and Leader of the Sovereign San Doverian Order (2005-)
Creator and Caretaker of the Sunþrawegaz Kuningadōmas (2017-)
 Creator and Caretaker of Hadlow n'Melthrune (2019-)

Uskorian Knight of the Bachelorette, Novian Baroness of the Fennec Fox,
Recipient of the Sovereign Order of the Rose, Recipient of the Order of Uskor, Member of the Austenasian Order.

(15 Nov 2017, 00:23:51)Suzuki/Violette Wrote: Donald Trump has authoritarian tendencies. Firstly, working with a foreign government to influence an election is pretty bad. That's something a person who craves power would do, no matter if you're Republican or Democrat.

Secondly, trying to suppress free speech by threatening libel against legitimate news outlets is something that a lot of authoritarians have done. Trump is even using his power to prevent Time Warner and AT&T from merging unless they disband CNN, which is crazy. That would be like if Obama prevented 21st Century Fox and Verizon to merge unless they disbanded Fox News, which again would be absolutely crazy!

Thirdly, when one refuses to denounce the supporters of authoritarianism, and repressive thinking, that's a big red flag. Specifically, a big red flag with a swastika in the middle. Failing to correctly address a movement that seeks to turn a country into a dictatorship when you are the leader of said country is a pretty strong sign that you wish to be that dictator.

The main saving grace here is that Trump doesn't seem to be very smart. If Trump were as intelligent as other authoritarian thinkers, the United States would be in grave danger. But, thankfully, he's pretty dim; and so, apparently, are his staffers. And that in the end will likely save America from the potentiality of dictatorship.

1. Actually Trump was proven innocent to the Russian connection a while ago, and in fact the Democratic party worked to make a fake document to frame Trump. CNN was also caught peddling this false news. As what you said, any party that does this is obviously not a reliable choice for a governing body.

2.CNN is not a legitimate new outlet as it is more like a tabloid, or in Europe it would be a "penny dreadful" its all false or sensationalized, they were even caught peddling the fake trump connection and was filmed by undercover reporters actually saying it was all a sham.

3.Donald Trump has actually denounced the actions of those groups a few times. 

Your unfortunately right about the last one, he does seem a little dull for a president or a politician in general. 
But he does have a heart, he does care about America not only because it's his job but also because he has businesses here so 
he needs to keep the nation afloat.

I'm starting to like this Jeremy Grey guy...

Suzuki, please keep in mind that almost all of the things you listed as being "examples" of President Trump being an authoritarian, are either blatantly not true, or you could also accuse democratic presidents and candidates of as well. Keep in mind that the president has no say whatsoever in terms of mergers... that is the FCC for media companies, and the SEC for publicly traded companies (both of whom must approve for things like Time Warner and AT&T) and these organizations are regulated by congress, not the executive branch.

The proven foreign influences on Hillary Clinton's campaign include huge donations from nations like Saudi Arabia and Yemen, who's record of human rights violations alone should keep her out of favor among many liberal voting blocks. She also colluded to rig the democratic primary and has been called out by her own party for doing so (though, to be fair, I would much rather have Hillary Clinton as president than Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren, so I'm glad she did that... just sayin) - and remember how the IRS, under orders from the Obama administration unfairly audited, prosecuted, and extorted dozens of conservative groups who were shown to have done nothing wrong. None of that seems a bit like a dictator or authoritarian to you?
"Sola Virtus Nobilitat!"
Virtue (Valor) Alone Enobles!

Ser John Marshall, Thegn of Siar Fordell

The Thegn-Hold of Siar Fordell

Wiki Page for Siar Fordell
I can see that there is no converting the two of you from your political beliefs. However, I still stand by my statement, and I implore others who wish to seek the truth behind this matter to independently research my four points for themselves.

EDIT: I would like to quickly point out to Jeremy that his first two sources are from American Pravda, which is owned by the Russian media conglomerate Pravda International, which in turn is indirectly run by the Russian government. It was once the sole newspaper of the Soviet Union for a time, and to this day is pretty much directed by the Kremlin. I would ask that if you were to provide any sources to a debate, you at least utilize a source material that does not have a horse in the race. Preferably an American source, as this topic effects Americans, not Russians.
 [Image: Flag_of_San_Dover.png]

Violette "Suzuki" Clingersmith

Founder and Leader of the Sovereign San Doverian Order (2005-)
Creator and Caretaker of the Sunþrawegaz Kuningadōmas (2017-)
 Creator and Caretaker of Hadlow n'Melthrune (2019-)

Uskorian Knight of the Bachelorette, Novian Baroness of the Fennec Fox,
Recipient of the Sovereign Order of the Rose, Recipient of the Order of Uskor, Member of the Austenasian Order.

(16 Nov 2017, 23:13:24)Suzuki/Violette Wrote: I can see that there is no converting the two of you from your political beliefs. However, I still stand by my statement, and I implore others who wish to seek the truth behind this matter to independently research my four points for themselves.

EDIT: I would like to quickly point out to Jeremy that his first two sources are from American Pravda, which is owned by the Russian media conglomerate Pravda International, which in turn is indirectly run by the Russian government. It was once the sole newspaper of the Soviet Union for a time, and to this day is pretty much directed by the Kremlin. I would ask that if you were to provide any sources to a debate, you at least utilize a source material that does not have a horse in the race. Preferably an American source, as this topic effects Americans, not Russians.

It's ok, I am not trying to change your beliefs either. I just wanted to air my own views as well.

It's ok if you don't believe the media I showed you. But just stating facts without any evidence whatsoever is also not a good idea. I guess you can say that we must agree to disagree. But that is ok, that is what political discussions are all about, to tell your side of the story.
I don't believe it is a problem that the footage is supplied by a Russian mouthpiece.  It's still actual footage with a decent amount of context.