Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome to New Providence
Micronationalism. It’s one of the few words that unites this community under a common purpose. It gives us hope when we have none. It gives us purpose when we are bored. It gives us adventure when we are stuck in the grind. Many thousands of people have sought to better their knowledge of politics, economics or culture through micronationalism, or even to rebel against such systems in their own subtle ways.

It has been the greatest goal of many in micronationalism to become a widely recognized sovereign state, what we in the community have termed “going macro.” And while the will to do so has been strong with many, the ability to branch out into this new frontier has so far eluded every micronationalist who has sought it. It is the proverbial unicorn of this endeavor, always sought but never caught.

Today, however, I wish to speak to you all about a new micronation with the dream of going macro. It is called New Providence, and it is the result of twelve and a half years of experience in micronationalism.

A Decade in the Making

New Providence is based upon much of the ideas developed by the fallen micronation of the Republic of Drew Star Line, which existed between the years 2005 and 2017. The main goal of Drew Star Line had almost always been to go macro, except during a brief time in its early existence. The last evolution of that trajectory aimed at conquering the Kermadec Islands from the nation of New Zealand, a plan that was ultimately doomed to fail.

Drew Star Line had several problems with its planning. Firstly, it was the brainchild of one individual who was only a part of the micronation for a few short months, and not a collective goal of the rest of the citizenry. Secondly, by the end of Drew Star Line’s existence, citizen activity was at such low levels that it became impossible for any part of the government to function. And lastly, Drew Star Line was a conglomeration of interests from six individuals, who became increasing hostile towards the others’ ambitions. Such a series of events led to an unspeakably depressing quagmire, which led to my retirement shortly before Drew Star Line’s total collapse.

During my six months away from that micronation, I have found solace in creating a fictional entity called Sunþrawegaz, and briefly running a state in Zenrax called San Dover before that was replaced by Sunþrawegaz as well. Although my drive towards going macro has certainly lessened over the years, it is still a goal often at the top of mind. I cannot shake the allure of finding this unicorn. And I have come to believe that my recent hardships in seeking it have been to educate me on how to go about doing it.

How to Create a Country

So, what makes a macronation a macronation? Well, if we use the Montevideo Convention on the declarative theory of statehood, we come across four criteria:

1) a defined territory
2) a permanent population
3) a government
4) a capacity to enter into relations with other states.

Every micronation has failed to achieve criteria two and four, and very few of them meet criteria one and three. From my experience most micronations, even those who have announced their intent to go macro, focus much of their attention towards developing a unique culture, setting up an economy (which proves to be the most futile), and establishing complex bureaucracies and systems of nobility that mitigate their government’s ultimate effectiveness. So far in my life I have met only one other person with the sight to see a true path to the unicorn, and that person is King Shamus of Madrona.

So, why are these criteria so difficult to achieve? Well, let’s go down the list. One, a defined territory; this pretty much means you not only claim the land, but you effectively control it, and the only micronations around with this ability actually own the land they claim. Two, a permanent population; this means that everyone in your micronation actually resides and works in or for your micronation, and no micronation I am aware of has ever once met this criteria. Three, a government; this one sounds simple, and for what it’s worth most micronations do have governments, but most micronational governments struggle to function on a day-to-day basis. Four, a capacity to enter into relations with other states; this means that an entity can create treaties with other sovereign states (not other micronations), and is again something no micronation has ever accomplished.

New Providence’s Plans

Bearing the string of failures that is the seemingly ultimate legacy of micronationalism as a whole, I bring to this community the micronation of New Providence. Its name echoes its purpose for being: to become the first micronation to be officially recognized as a sovereign entity as upheld by the Montevideo Convention on the declarative theory of statehood. This micronation will be the first to catch the unicorn, and it will do so by focusing all of its efforts on the four criteria.

Firstly, we return to a defined territory. New Providence will claim, and attempt to control, the following lands: the Kerguelen Islands, the Heard and McDonald Islands, the Crozet Islands, the Prince Edward Islands, and the Amsterdam and Saint Paul Islands. All of these lands are located in the southwestern Indian Ocean, and are currently controlled by the nations of the Commonwealth of Australia, the French Republic, and the Republic of South Africa. It is the stated goal of New Providence to complete our control over these lands no later than the year 2040.

Secondly, New Providence needs a permanent population. This will not be fully achievable until the country is in full control of its stated land claims, however citizenship applications will be forwarded to interested individuals around the world. It is my personal hope to have fifty to a hundred citizens by the close of the year 2018.

Thirdly, this new country needs a government. For now, I am in complete control of the entirety of New Providence. But I will be holding a constitutional convention among the entirety of the citizenry when such a number reaches fifty individuals.

Lastly, New Providence will have to be able to establish relations with other states. This is going to be the trickiest of the four, and will likely be the last to be accomplished. While New Providence doesn’t have to have relations with other countries, it does have to maintain the political ability to do so. I do believe that once a settlement is established on our claimed territories, some kind of treaty stopping short of recognition will be signed with the French Republic. We are willing to allow fishing in our claimed external economic zone in return for the removal of the French meteorological station on the Kerguelen Islands, for instance.

Other Things Worthy to Mention

A few short tidbits on New Providence that I think I should share. One, New Providence does not currently have an elongated name (i.e. no “Republic of…” stuff). Two, currently I am against New Providence forming relations with other micronations at this time. I believe that doing so may delegitimize the seriousness of this effort. Both of these things may change during the constitutional convention to be held in the future, though.

Lastly, I wanted to describe the flag of New Providence, which is in the spoiler below. The flag is based off of the original Kermadec Union flag, which in turn was based off of an unofficial flag for the Kermadec Islands. This flag, however, has some unique characteristics that I thought was “worthy to mention.” Firstly, the most noticeable difference is that the white circles in the blue field represents the constellation Octans, while the Kermadec flag showcased Crux. Octans is always directly overhead the Kerguelen Islands, day or night. The smaller of the four stars, which represents Sigma Octantis, is the closest visible star to the south pole, the southern hemisphere’s version of the North Star. All of the stars in New Providence’s claimed territories revolve around this star. I also changed around the triangles a bit, making them equidistant, and adding a fifth triangle. They represent the five archipelagos claimed by New Providence. The red bar to the left has also been lengthened slightly for better visual appeal.

Anyways, that is my big announcement. Wish me luck on catching the unicorn.

[Image: flag_of_new_providence_by_neneveh-dc34k4u.png]

Violette "Suzuki" Clingersmith, Founder and Provisional Leader of New Providence (2018-), Creator and Caretaker of the Sunþrawegaz Kuningadōmas (2017-), Senator from the Federation of Zenrax (2017-), Co-founder and Former President of the Republic of Drew Star Line (2006, 2007-2017), Uskorian Knight of the Bachelorette, Novian Baroness of the Fennec Fox, Recipient of the Sovereign Order of the Rose.

Well done, and good luck.

I am curious as to what you plan on using to induce citizens to move to New Providence (other than the allure of pristine beaches, etc.) and what you will be basing your economy on (eco tourism? luxury tourism? tax haven? etc.) Do you plan on allowing dual citizens?
"Sola Virtus Nobilitat!"
Virtue (Valor) Alone Enobles!

Ser John Marshall, Thegn of Siar Fordell

The Thegn-Hold of Siar Fordell

Wiki Page for Siar Fordell
(1 Feb 2018, 20:25:51)ThegnSiarFordell Wrote: Well done, and good luck.

I am curious as to what you plan on using to induce citizens to move to New Providence (other than the allure of pristine beaches, etc.) and what you will be basing your economy on (eco tourism? luxury tourism? tax haven? etc.) Do you plan on allowing dual citizens?

These islands have similar climate to Iceland and Greenland, so I doubt the pristine beaches would be popular to the tourists. But they are some of the most isolated places in the world. The nearest permanently inhabited area from the Kerguelen Islands, for instance, is Madagascar, 2000 miles away. Developing any kind of tourism would be pretty difficult, and would take time.

I do believe that these islands and their surrounding waters are rich in mineral wealth, something that hasn't really been tapped into, again because these islands are so isolated, not to mention the fact that they've only been known for the past 250 years or so. In fact Heard and McDonald Islands are considered to be the last landmass discovered by humanity, in 1833.

Either way, I expect a better answer to your question will come eventually, especially when there a more people to voice their opinions in the matter. As for dual citizens, my reasoning with that is to let a constitutional convention decide.

Violette "Suzuki" Clingersmith, Founder and Provisional Leader of New Providence (2018-), Creator and Caretaker of the Sunþrawegaz Kuningadōmas (2017-), Senator from the Federation of Zenrax (2017-), Co-founder and Former President of the Republic of Drew Star Line (2006, 2007-2017), Uskorian Knight of the Bachelorette, Novian Baroness of the Fennec Fox, Recipient of the Sovereign Order of the Rose.

While I always enjoy a positive footnote in someone's post, to be clear Madrona has achieved the ability to enter into relations with other states, our government is functional, and in a literal sense we have a defined territory and a sizable permanent population, with whom we would characterize as exceptionally eager and willing. However there are far more things we have that are not listed in this post that we possess. At this point one of the last things we're missing is official recognition by the Government of Canada.
"Progress doesn't wait for conservatives."
~ King Shamus I, Kingdom of Madrona, 2016

His Majesty King Shamus the First of the Provisional Government of the Kingdom of Madrona

o Nationalist o Activist o Monarchist o Separatist o Humanist o Philanthropist o Realist o Research Scientist o Patriot o Progressive o
If you want to live on Heard Island go ahead but it's probably not going to be too fun.
no steppy
As I have said before, I wish you the best of luck on this mission. However, I am curious to ask where do you plan to get the money to fund this venture before the start of base operations? Surely, you would need money for boats, aircraft, settlements, agriculture, paying people, et cetera to even start to have a macronational economy to start. No doubt once that is set up a macronational economy is much more possible. Besides...

Suzuki/Violette Wrote:These islands have similar climate to Iceland and Greenland

Who wouldn't want some of that nice, freezing weather?

Secessionist ~ Aspiring politician ~ Scientist ~ Progressive

Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein
(3 Feb 2018, 04:09:37)Nicholas Kaos Wrote: As I have said before, I wish you the best of luck on this mission. However, I am curious to ask where do you plan to get the money to fund this venture before the start of base operations? Surely, you would need money for boats, aircraft, settlements, agriculture, paying people, et cetera to even start to have a macronational economy to start. No doubt once that is set up a macronational economy is much more possible. Besides...

Well, I recognize that I am but one person, and I will admit that I don't have the answers to those questions. I do believe that I will be able to bring on board people who do have a better idea on how to get to these islands, and what to do once we are there. My primary focus is to spread the word of New Providence to as many people who will listen, because that is the only way to find such important people.

My god you have no idea how much I'm stopping myself from listing upwards of a dozen proven and viable sources for funding for something like this. But I can't, as some people in this community have learned about my aversion to helping other movements for a list of reasons.

His Majesty King Shamus the First of the Provisional Government of the Kingdom of Madrona

o Nationalist o Activist o Monarchist o Separatist o Humanist o Philanthropist o Realist o Research Scientist o Patriot o Progressive o
(3 Feb 2018, 08:14:47)Tjorvi Wrote: My god you have no idea how much I'm stopping myself from listing upwards of a dozen proven and viable sources for funding for something like this. But I can't, as some people in this community have learned about my aversion to helping other movements for a list of reasons.

I listen to your advice, friend. I just choose to ignore it! XD

Although, you did tell me a number of times with DSL that I needed to bring in people who were more knowledgeable in things like construction, shipping, and economics. That is more or less the fish I'm trying to catch that I just told Nicholas about.

I still maintain there's nothing wrong with enlisting interested bankers, professors, entrepreneurs and many others. They hold the information that you might lack, plus there's a good chance they've got networks that you could very easily benefit from