Poll: Is this useful at all?
Yeah
Nah
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Alternative DNS (Domain Name) Root
Hi all! I'm new here and not sure if this is the location to post this or if it's allowed, but here goes nothing!

I just wanted to gather some thoughts on whether any micronations might be interested in joining an alternative DNS system (wikipedia) that granted states such as yours your own custom top-level domains similar to how the United States has .us domains, etc.

Using Austenasia just as a recognizable example, they could be granted the ccTLD .aa, which would give them the ability to create websites such as finance.gov.aa, foreignaffairs.gov.aa, somefictionalbusiness.com.aa, et cetera. Whatever setup they want could be accommodated. Large/popular enough micronations could even theoretically sell their domains to the public as well, creating another source of income.

The main issue with a system like this would be user availability. People who wish to access sites hosted on your custom ccTLD would need to change their computer's settings manually. It isn't a difficult change by any means, it just isn't default so there'd need to be some end-user education involved. But I get the feeling that micronations might be familiar with the problems with user-adoption anyways ;)

If some of you think this is a good idea, I intend to provide a centralized DNS root (called FreeNIC, which I'm currently founding) that micronations would be able to add their custom ccTLD to, so users following any micronation will be able to access any such ccTLD under a single configuration. I'm also offering to host the DNS infrastructure and a basic WordPress Multisite setup for any less technically-minded micronations. Still working on the details but I'm throwing everything together at https://www.nationdns.org/

I'd be happy to answer any questions/concerns anybody might have as well about how this'll work or why I'm doing this, etc. I hope this isn't seen as some sort of annoying advertising, I think this could be a great resource for micronations.

Edit: If you're interested, please join me on Discord so we can discuss further: https://discord.gg/NmtmJud
Jonah Aragon
Founder: NationDNS. We are looking for micronations who want to participate in building an alternative DNS root!

If you need fast support regarding the services we provide, please join our Discord! https://discord.gg/NmtmJud
If I helped you out, please consider adding a +1 using the Rate button below this post.
And what would you propose for the Kingdom of Madrona? I thought about ".kom" but I figured that might be too cheeky.
"Progress doesn't wait for conservatives."
~ King Shamus I, Kingdom of Madrona, 2016

His Majesty King Shamus the First of the Provisional Government of the Kingdom of Madrona

Member of the Madrona Sovereignty Movement in Canada

o Nationalist o Activist o Monarchist o Separatist o Humanist o Philanthropist o Realist o Research Scientist o Imperialist o Patriot o Progressive o
When I saw this thread, I literally thought somebody made a post about the Democratia of New Starland (DNS).
[Image: Sun%C3%BErawegaz_Flag.png] [Image: Flag_of_New_Providence_2.png] [Image: San_Dover_Flag_2.png]

Violette "Suzuki" Leōcor

Creator and Caretaker of the Sunþrawegaz Kuningadōmas (2017-), 
Founder and Empress of the Empire of New Providence (2018-),
Founder and High Priestess of the Sovereign San Doverian Order of Historical Preservation (2017-)

Co-founder and Former President of the Republic of Drew Star Line (2005; 2006, 2007-2017)

Uskorian Knight of the Bachelorette, Novian Baroness of the Fennec Fox, Recipient of the Sovereign Order of the Rose, Companion of the Order of Uskor.

(10 May 2018, 03:49:45)Tjorvi Wrote: And what would you propose for the Kingdom of Madrona? I thought about ".kom" but I figured that might be too cheeky.

Haha! It's up to you, as long as it doesn't already exist: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_In...el_domains

Traditionally ccTLDs are only two letters, but a lot of them are already taken, and it might be best to avoid the unregistered ones in case the ISO registers them at a later date causing a conflict, which basically only leaves .aa, .oo, and any two-letter domain starting with 'x' edit: it leaves AAQM to QZXA to XZ, and ZZ (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1...ding_table). So perhaps more than two (or just a single character?) makes sense for most.

Personally...... I'd say even just .madrona wouldn't be terrible. I do like .kom though ;)

(10 May 2018, 03:50:58)Suzuki Leōcor Wrote: When I saw this thread, I literally thought somebody made a post about the Democratia of New Starland (DNS).

Changed that title just for you :P
Jonah Aragon
Founder: NationDNS. We are looking for micronations who want to participate in building an alternative DNS root!

If you need fast support regarding the services we provide, please join our Discord! https://discord.gg/NmtmJud
If I helped you out, please consider adding a +1 using the Rate button below this post.
I think the idea is fantastic, and would gladly sign up! When might we expect the service to become available?

I'm curious as to how you can afford to offer this service for free? Could you also clarify the differences between the basic and premium options you offer?
Anthony R Clark
Forum and wiki admin

'...holds the micronational record for being named/responsible for the vast majority of micronational litigation.'
-Daily Micronational

(10 May 2018, 08:53:57)Anthony R Clark Wrote: I think the idea is fantastic, and would gladly sign up! When might we expect the service to become available?

The answer to this largely depends on how interested people are in joining, quantity wise, because it’ll allow me to decide between whether I should focus on getting NationDNS services up right away or working on finishing up the projects I need to finish with FreeNIC (the backend infrastructure, which is mostly completed but requires a lot of minor improvements for a better community, etc.). I’d say conceivably an initial offering of the Free plan could go live as quickly as the next week or two, with beta testers before that, if I decide to refocus on bringing this online for the time being. 

(10 May 2018, 08:53:57)Anthony R Clark Wrote: I'm curious as to how you can afford to offer this service for free? Could you also clarify the differences between the basic and premium options you offer?

The short answer* to your first question is that the free plan I have listed on the site is exceptionally cheap for me to provide, and will be hosted on servers I need to pay for anyways for various reasons. 

I threw together that pricing table in about 10 minutes (5 of which were spent on making sure it looked nice) so it’s not entirely fleshed out. Essentially the free plan I have listed is just incredibly basic functionality, both DNS and hosting wise, but it doesn’t really allow for any extensibility (more on how it works below). The Premium plan will bring your TLD more in line with how a traditional domain system works. You’ll get dedicated DNS servers and a registration panel that will allow you and customers to define custom records, register domains for external hosting services, and potentially sell domains (which would be a challenge, not sure how many people want to buy domains that aren't widely accessible, but maybe larger organizations here could pull it off).

I should note that all of those plans are in regards to NationDNS hosting your entire infrastructure, for less technically-minded folks. If somebody wants to self-host everything on their own servers they can do so, and can work with us to get their TLD added to FreeNIC (more on the benefits of this below).

*So, the long answer...
Jonah Aragon

Sign me up, please!
Anthony R Clark
Forum and wiki admin

'...holds the micronational record for being named/responsible for the vast majority of micronational litigation.'
-Daily Micronational

(10 May 2018, 20:17:59)Anthony R Clark Wrote: Sign me up, please!

I'll keep you posted! I'm hoping I can get ~10 micronations on board before launch, that'd be wonderful. If you know anyone else that this may be of interest to please send them a link to this thread!

If you're able, join our new chat server on Discord for updates: https://discord.gg/NmtmJud
Jonah Aragon

I confirm that NationDNS has the right to create the ccTLD .ndk for the use of the Nordkavn Federation, a state of which I am the founder.
Anthony R Clark
Forum and wiki admin

-Daily Micronational

(10 May 2018, 23:09:17)Anthony R Clark Wrote: .nkd for the use of the Nordkavn Federation.

Not going to lie, and I'm not trying to be childish, however I initially read that as ".naked"
"Progress doesn't wait for conservatives."
~ King Shamus I, Kingdom of Madrona, 2016

His Majesty King Shamus the First of the Provisional Government of the Kingdom of Madrona

Member of the Madrona Sovereignty Movement in Canada

o Nationalist o Activist o Monarchist o Separatist o Humanist o Philanthropist o Realist o Research Scientist o Imperialist o Patriot o Progressive o