Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Silver Standard
Some of my research into alternative investments has led me back to this thread, and to ask how the Silver Standard has progressed in Zenrax. Looking into people collecting and "stacking" physical silver and gold as an investment, has led me to multiple privately owned and run mints and really interesting designs to silver coins - everything from nostalgic pirate style coins, to truly obscene depictions. Many can be found on ebay, selling at a slight premium to call value, but purchased by those with an intent to save until it appreciates further. This adds to my point previously, that simply holding your currency would be an appreciating asset and allow your citizens to continue to save and invest with cash. Also, the idea of a private mint producing actual silver coins for Zenrax that can be stacked and held to appreciate, or sold at a slight premium to other (foreign) investors who are simply interested in the silver. I would recommend looking into the idea, and if I ever decide to get into "Stacking" precious metals and investing in physical assets like that, then I wouldn't mind holding coins from Zenrax.
"Sola Virtus Nobilitat!"
Virtue (Valor) Alone Enobles!

Ser John Marshall, Thegn of Siar Fordell

The Thegn-Hold of Siar Fordell

Wiki Page for Siar Fordell
Although Zenrax dissolved this last November, silver is still a highly important commodity for us, and is still occasionally traded and used in-kind for gifts, trades, and other minor things. Unfortunately, my travels more or less inhibit me from amassing the silver that I want to use for direct trade with others, so until then I have to suit myself with older dollar coins from days gone by. As for a private mint, I would happily partake in such a thing, for the day when I secure a strong enough income base to justify expanding my own estate in my own name rather than for the glory of the extended family.

On that note, I've been mulling over rebooting Zenrax but shifting its focus to a personal one rather than a familial one. It's high time anyway that I began moves to found and strengthen my position in society underneath my own banner, so that if something were to befall my larger family at an inopportune time, I would be there to help them restore their lost prestige.

PS: The Order of the Rose still survives, as it was/is technically an entity formed independently of Zenrax. Therefore, all honors will continue to be upheld, for what it is worth to the recipients.
Master of the Sovereign Order of the Rose
Micronational affiliations: None

A shortcut to ending drama: press Alt + F4
expanding my estate in my own name is one of the reasons I started Siar Fordell (nothing against my more extended family, but being a second born son, I knew that even traditionally speaking, I would have to make my own way in the world) I am also not in a position to have my money tied up in physical coins and precious metals lying around - or, rather, I'd be loath to lose out on the opportunity cost of other equities.

You didn't ask my advice, but purchasing a home (on your VA loan) would be the first and probably most important step in establishing yourself and your holdings. I own several properties, but my family seat (primary residence) is by far my most important single investment, and has given excellent returns. It is an investment you can live in, and every man's home is his castle. You can then build up more estates and holdings from there.

Glad to know that the Order of the Rose still exists.
"Sola Virtus Nobilitat!"
Virtue (Valor) Alone Enobles!

Ser John Marshall, Thegn of Siar Fordell

The Thegn-Hold of Siar Fordell

Wiki Page for Siar Fordell
I know I'm late to the discussion, but here's my two cents.

I'm a fan of silver as a medium to measure and store wealth. In fact, I hate fiat currencies as a monetary system. Yes, it works. But, it doesn't always work. Inflation is a fancy term for legal robbing. The government confiscated part of your wealth and deems that economic growth.

One of the first executive orders I signed was for prohibiting a banking and inflation driven economy. For me, a healthy economy is one that needs to be left alone, but within a legal framework. Officially, in the Principality of St. George there is no currency. Gold and silver are accepted as legal tender. However, since we hold territories in Europe and the US, we also use Euro and USD. Fiat currencies are not prohibited, but it's a "use at your own risk" medium.

I agree that you need to establish yourself by owning property. However, since our nations are so reliant on the host nation's economy, you can't trust real estate 100%. Look at what happened in 2007.

I, too, have money in the stock market - mainly holding ETFs - and the bond market and the real estate market. However, I also have money tied up in physical and paper bullion. You never know when the next crisis is going to happen and how bad it is going to be, but you can be sure that another downturn will come.

Last year my real estate holdings produced marginally better returns than my stock holdings in the past 2 years. Last year my stock holdings came at a loss. And I had successfully predicted the second flash crash and liquidated some of my holdings, but sadly not all (in other words my losses would have been worse). I bought again a bit over the low of December/January.

What I'm getting at is that you need to be diversified.