Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Statement from the new GUM Chair
I recently took office as the 28th Chair of the Grand Unified Micronational, and have just published this statement outlining my plans to make the organisation relevant again. Of particular interest are plans to host a UK-based summit next year, which I hope will be the largest European summit since Polination 2012: https://gumnews.wordpress.com/2018/07/20...the-chair/
EIVS IMPERIALIS MAIESTIS ADAMVS PRIMVS · IMPERATOR ADAMMIAE I · DOMINVS CRAFTANIAE II · DVX DEIRAE · MAGNVS PENMINAE ET SPILDCASTLAE · MMXIII - MMXVIII

I say congratulations on your election as Chair of the GUM, however I have got to ask, why you?

I understand that you are one of the more experienced micronationalists around and for that, you have my respect. Where you lack however is your actual record as Chair. Now, I have never participated in GUM activities but you was elected in 2014 with a "back to basics" approach. Your claim is that the approach will rescue the GUM. Hardly. It didn't last time? Your chairmanship only served to fast forward it's demise.

Yet, my biggest problem and the main reason I asked "why you" is the "micronational elite" has appointed one of it's own. Again. There is a lot of fresh talent, even outside the GUM who as independent chairs would reignite the flame. I struggle to completely understand how you wish to promote on Reddit when the Quorum most likely refuse membership. The micronational elite have mistaken this organisation for the mass meeting of this community's clique and it is a very sad moment for this community.
CEO of "The Bedroom Republic"
..."Micronational elite"?
His Imperial Majesty
Jonathan I
(Imperator Caesar Jonathan Augustus)
By the Grace of Christ our God faithful Austenasian Emperor and Autocrat of the Romans
[Image: 8hcAM4h.png]
(25 Jul 2018, 06:20:01)Austenasia Wrote: ..."Micronational elite"?

In what logic does someone who has shown incompetence during his previous two terms as Chair in fast forwarding the GUM's demise get elected again; considering the precarious position of the organisation?
Regarding my record as Chair of the GUM, my first term in office went fairly well, I feel. By the time I got to my second term, the organisation was effectively dead on its feet, and I had no choice to but to disestablish it as an organisation.

Most of the decline in activity which led to the dissolution of the GUM took place in between my two terms. Perhaps I could have done more during my first term to safeguard against future inactivity, but as others have pointed out, activity is more down to the member states rather than the Chair. Besides, I had barely been in micronationalism for little more than a year when I served that first term, and I now have over five years of experience.

The GUM isn't the home of the "micronational elite". Perhaps there was a time when you could argue that was the case, but not any more. Amongst the GUM's member states are a number of young micronations which would have been rejected in years gone by. Those micronations are now fully taking part in the organisation - they will be hosting Diplomabear next year and I expect to see them running for office in future elections.

Walker391, you are quick to assume that a Reddit micronation would be rejected by the Quorum. Before, maybe, but I do feel that culture has changed. As I said in my statement, I want to expand the GUM beyond its traditional MicroWiki roots. When we consider a micronation for membership, the main criteria we are looking for is some sort of platform which displays basic information about a nation and its history, presented in an at-least intelligible manner. This doesn't have to be a MicroWiki page - it can be a website of any kind, even if it's using Webs or Wix. If a micronation has this, is more than a few months old, and isn't a known troll, they'll probably be accepted, at least as an observer state.
EIVS IMPERIALIS MAIESTIS ADAMVS PRIMVS · IMPERATOR ADAMMIAE I · DOMINVS CRAFTANIAE II · DVX DEIRAE · MAGNVS PENMINAE ET SPILDCASTLAE · MMXIII - MMXVIII

I disagree with parts of your assessment.

I believe that the GUM tends towards inactivity for the very simple reason that very few people are willing to put in extended lengths of time on actually doing any work for the organisation.

To be fair, I’m not and wasn’t one of those people, and also to be fair, I’m not sure you can blame people for being unwilling to put in this work.
Anthony R Clark
Forum and wiki admin

'...holds the micronational record for being named/responsible for the vast majority of micronational litigation.'
-Daily Micronational

(26 Jul 2018, 15:37:09)Adam Belcher Wrote: Regarding my record as Chair of the GUM, my first term in office went fairly well, I feel. By the time I got to my second term, the organisation was effectively dead on its feet, and I had no choice to but to disestablish it as an organisation.

Most of the decline in activity which led to the dissolution of the GUM took place in between my two terms. Perhaps I could have done more during my first term to safeguard against future inactivity, but as others have pointed out, activity is more down to the member states rather than the Chair. Besides, I had barely been in micronationalism for little more than a year when I served that first term, and I now have over five years of experience.

The GUM isn't the home of the "micronational elite". Perhaps there was a time when you could argue that was the case, but not any more. Amongst the GUM's member states are a number of young micronations which would have been rejected in years gone by. Those micronations are now fully taking part in the organisation - they will be hosting Diplomabear next year and I expect to see them running for office in future elections.

Walker391, you are quick to assume that a Reddit micronation would be rejected by the Quorum. Before, maybe, but I do feel that culture has changed. As I said in my statement, I want to expand the GUM beyond its traditional MicroWiki roots. When we consider a micronation for membership, the main criteria we are looking for is some sort of platform which displays basic information about a nation and its history, presented in an at-least intelligible manner. This doesn't have to be a MicroWiki page - it can be a website of any kind, even if it's using Webs or Wix. If a micronation has this, is more than a few months old, and isn't a known troll, they'll probably be accepted, at least as an observer state.

In regards to your first term, was it really that good? You talk about the GUM having a weak executive which expected the "member states to work for the GUM". Isn't your proposals to enforce more work on the secretaries just that?

You wish to introduce a form of guides to the forum, which I believe to be a good thing for the community. A form of giving something back to younger micronationalists, something which a few of the Old Guard could learn from. However, isn't it wrong doing this now when you have shown utter contempt for the MicroWiki community. Until this admirable post by yourself, there has been no updates, no National Reports or Quorum minutes since 2017. How does that motivate the younger micronationalists, especially the ones who don't hold Skype to aspire to be members. Why should the GUM hold the privilege of a sub-forum if you cannot be bothered to update it?
(29 Jul 2018, 19:21:17)Walker391 Wrote: You talk about the GUM having a weak executive which expected the "member states to work for the GUM". Isn't your proposals to enforce more work on the secretaries just that?

No, I'm taking up the bulk of the workload myself, personally. This is something that several of my predecessors have failed to do.

(29 Jul 2018, 19:21:17)Walker391 Wrote: Until this admirable post by yourself, there has been no updates, no National Reports or Quorum minutes since 2017.

That's not my fault, I became Chair less than a month ago. Previous administrations have neglected things such as these, and fixing these things is exactly what I am here to do.

(29 Jul 2018, 19:21:17)Walker391 Wrote: Why should the GUM hold the privilege of a sub-forum if you cannot be bothered to update it?

Well, here I am, updating it. To be fair, the GUM sub-forum was set up years ago to handle functions that we no longer carry out, so you could make the argument that the sub-forum is no longer needed, but the fact that we are having this debate right now shows that there is some use to this sub-forum: it allows the GUM to engage with micronations outside the organisation.

What happened to reviving this organization
(28 Aug 2018, 08:02:07)Deadcompute Wrote: What happened to reviving this organization

We usually operate and hold quorums on the Skype GUM rooms. If you are thinking of joining the GUM you may do so by applying on the GUM/Ratification's micro wiki page.
Austin Jaax